SOLVED Strange, faint icon onscreen that logs me out

Reaction score
I was trying to activate "flash" last night...turned out it was already activated but the old version of a software I had loaded was unable to recognize the newer version of flash.

But somewhere in my puttering around, I either changed something, or the update that took place last night initiated this change. I loaded updates and let the laptop restart. (The Windows update was: "Cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1067 for 64 based system." )

This morning, there is a small, faint icon with many colors formatted in a way that looks like a menu to me. it's in the center of every screen I am on, Desktop, in programs and on Internet screens. But it's too small to read. When I double-click on this icon, my laptop signs me out and I have to log in again. I didn't notice it last night before the updates but it's faint and I could have missed it.

I would like to upload two screenshots I took of the icon, but it seems I cannot upload images to this site at all. I tried to put the images into a document but the icon is so light it doesn't show. Is there a way I can upload a jpeg?

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum deJon.

When you are on a screen you can view your mysterious box, press ALT key and PrtScn key (the print screen key) then type paint in your Search/Cortana box and press Enter key

Now with Paint open simply click Paste in its top tool bar, then click Crop

Now just save file as .png to a location of your choosing.

Then when you create a new post here click the Upload a File button and navigate to location of your image and select it and click OK

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
So I can upload a png file here but not a jpg file, is that correct? . It's good to know.
Meanwhile, I emailed my computer-savvy nephew and he thought it sounded like an image retention from leaving the screen on overnight.
He said it would make sense for it to be image retention since it was faint and couldn't be read when enlarged.
Suggested it would go away in a day or two on its own or I could run a DVD on constant replay to speed things up. Before I could try anything, the image was gone when I opened the laptop this morning.

I'm just glad it's gone. Thanks for the feedback. Maybe this will help someone else who has the same problem.

Ask a Question