Fan spinning while in StandBy

Reaction score
Hi, I put my ThinkPad T14 G1 AMD R7 on StandBy.
Sometimes, I hear the fan keep running at quite high speed. Is it normal while the laptop is in SB mode ?

thank you for your support on this umpteenth issue of this very faulty laptop

Reaction score
robertwin Try cleaning the air in/outlet vents, a cool machine is an efficient machine. If the fan does'nt run, the smoke gets out and that ruins electronics.

Reaction score
Issues with suspending and resuming are often caused by Connected Standby. To disable Connected Standby, open Command Prompt as administrator and paste powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0 && powercfg /setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0 exactly.

If it doesn't change anything, there could be a setting in BIOS for the standby level. Change it from S1 or S2 to S3. If it's already set to S3, glitches with power management are often caused by the Embedded Controller. To restart the Embedded Controller, Shift + Click the Shut Down button, unplug the charger, and look for a pinhole on the underside of the laptop with a battery icon beside it. Use mechanical pencil graphite to press it for 1 minute, then turn the computer on again.

If it still doesn't work, download PSTools from Microsoft Sysinternals. Extract the ZIP and copy PsShutdown.exe to your System32 folder. Press Windows + R, psshutdown.exe -d -t 0, Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Does this work?

Ask a Question