Black Screen/Fan issues

Reaction score
Alright so i have been having this issue for a while now and its really starting to get in the way. So i have 2 issues, the first one is that my screen goes black sometimes and it seems to be that everything shuts down in the background after but my PC is still on and my peripheral lights are still on so it seems to be that it is just my graphics card. I made sure my graphics card is completely installed and that all the PCI-E cords are plugged into the card but the issue still happens and with this issue i occasionally get a windows error noise. Another detail is that when my screen goes off my monitor says that DVI no signal and sometimes it says that it is repairing my C: drive which is my SSD but it rarely says that. so i was wondering what that issue might be.

The second issue i'm getting is that sometimes my PC's fans spin very fast. I'm not sure from what component it comes from and when it happens my screen goes black and I have to shut down my PC but i think it might be overheating or something but i'm not too sure so i was wondering what that might be.

Details:
Farther explaining my 1st paragraph is that this also happens when i play games but i never had this issue in the first year of owning my PC

My PC is almost 3 years old.

My Hard drive was making weird noises so i sent that out to be RMA'd, its still not back in my build.

I was away for 6 months so i did not use it for 6 months about a year ago.

I completely cleaned my PC from dust.

The build is fan cooled but the CPU has liquid cooling.

That's all i know in terms of what is off of my head, if there are any other questions let me know.

Reaction score
If you suspect your PC is overheating, try monitoring it with Speed Fan. A free and useful utility.
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
I also had the black screen on a brand new Dell Inspiron Lap Top, it turned out to be a defective factory installed HD

Last edited:
Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is download hwmonitor, heaven benchmark and prime95. Stress test the cpu with prime95 while monitoring temps. 15 minutes is fine to just make sure it's not overheating. Make sure you know what your cpu's max temp is supposed to be first, just in case it gets close. Then do the same with your gpu (with heaven benchmark).

A couple things can be happening. Fans speeding up usually means heat. It's important to know which fans are speeding up. Your cpu coolers pump could be failing. Your gpu could be overheating. It's hard to tell. At least you can eliminate a few things by running the stress tests. What's your PC's specs?

Reaction score
Ok so when i used the heaven benchmark my PC's screen blacked out without warning and on basic it was running at 60C+, highest it reached was 75 at 2000rpm/Max it was averaging 70 on ultra and 2x

Last edited:

Ask a Question