File Manager showing Desktop and Quick Access

Reaction score
I recently noticed in File Manger that, instead of showing the typical: Quick Access, One Drive, This PC, Network & Homegroup as top level destinations, it had begun showing Quick Access and Desktop as the only two top level destinations. (See image below.)
upload_2016-10-14_13-0-16.png

When I expand Desktop, One Drive, This PC, Network & Homegroup are subordinate to Desktop. Additionally, it has <Current User> , Libraries, Control Panel & Recycle Bin as shown below.
upload_2016-10-14_13-1-58.png

I have another Windows 10 machine with same build in which the File Explorer appears as it should (i.e. showing Quick Access, OneDrive, This PC, Network & Homegroup as top level destinations). I have not mucked around with any configurations on either machine that would have changed anything.

Any suggestions on how to configure explorer to show the default format of Quick Access, One Drive, This PC, Network & Homegroup?

Thanks!

Reaction score
It appears that File Explorer is opening to this PC. To open File Explorer to Quick Access,
Open the Control Panel select File Explorer Options, under the General Tab select and change Open File Explorer to "Quick Access".

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,022
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not the problem.

I did some more searching in the options within File Explorer and found the solution:
-with File Explorer open, select the View tab.
-On the far right of the View ribbon, Click "Options". This will bring up "File Options"
-Select "View" tab
-Scroll to the bottom of the list and in-check the box labeled "Show all folders"
-Select Apply and everything's back to normal.
upload_2016-10-14_20-9-25.png

How the change was made to mess things up is inexplicable, I'm the only person accessing this computer.
Thanks

Reaction score
I have a similar problem but my file explorer was fine just a few days ago but when i went into it this showed up. when i try to "attach files" on a website for pictures file explore looks normal

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    372.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    224.9 KB · Views: 263
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not the problem.

I did some more searching in the options within File Explorer and found the solution:
-with File Explorer open, select the View tab.
-On the far right of the View ribbon, Click "Options". This will bring up "File Options"
-Select "View" tab
-Scroll to the bottom of the list and in-check the box labeled "Show all folders"
-Select Apply and everything's back to normal.
View attachment 4211

How the change was made to mess things up is inexplicable, I'm the only person accessing this computer.
Thanks
I hope you see my appreciation. I just got that problem this week and while the steps to correct it were not exactly the same, it was your information that helped me to solve the problem. Thank you so much.

Ask a Question