File Path In Titlebar Autohides

Reaction score
I have set File Explorer to display the full file path in the title bar of the Explorer window. It shows until I change focus (?) to another program - specifically (most relevantly) any program that might capture the text of the path - if I change focus (?) back to that Explorer window, the path text appears again. I would like to keep it displayed permanently - HOW to achieve that ? Win10 v1511
On two other PCs - Win 10 v1607 - the text of the path dims, but does not disappear.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Does anything change if you modify the Registry rather than use Folder options for displaying Full path?
  • Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Click Yes when User Account Control prompt appears
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState" /v FullPath /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Press Enter key

Close command window

Right-click
    on Task bar > select Task Manager > Scroll and locate Windows Explorer > right-click and Restart the Windows Explorer

Now see whether that makes any difference to your current situation when changing focus.

Reaction score
Sad to say - NO improvement. Since the v1607 versions have dimming when focus is changed, the v1511 merely OVERdoes the dimming, so it is a matter of degree (quantity) rather than functionality (quality).
One might observe that one solution is to upgrade v1511 to v1607. I had done that when it first became available, but I had to call on Microsoft to diagnose the many faults that the upgrade introduced. It's solution was to roll back the upgrade to v1511. I will get another chance next (?) week to upgrade to v1703 - that may or may not succeed. In the meantime, It would be interesting (and more than useful) to get a solution to the system (v1511) I am still using.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'd need to analyze what is controlling the dim effect to see whether its plausible to resolve your issue.

So for the time being you'll just have to wait and see whether anyone else has come up with a solution.

I suspect this is one of those things Microsoft won't be placing on a high priority list.

Reaction score
I have managed to update the v1511 to 1703, and that annoying feature is absent. [Although I'll be accused of mixing threads I just want to say that windows can again be dragged by their top left corner, so another inconvenience removed gone.] Though I can not mark the problem in V1511as SOLVED, the v1703 upgrade has made the issue passe for me.

Ask a Question