FileHistory - a problem solved

SOLVED Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RobertofRichmond, Jan 30, 2017.

1. RobertofRichmond

RobertofRichmond

I had been using FileHistory successfully since upgrading to Windows 10. Then last week my external backup drive died. Slight panic, but as I had not lost any data I decided the best thing was to get a new external drive and backup again.

I started by creating a system backup image. That worked well, so I went on the start a new filehistory and that is when the problems started.

I clicked on the button in Settings to stop using the existing filehistory and tried to set up a new one, but when I tried to select a hard drive nothing happened. So I tried via Control Panel> File History. This told me that "File History is off". So I selected a hard drive and clicked on the "Turn on" button - after a short while I got the error message
    "Could not enable File History

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."​
    Followed all sorts of suggestions I found via web search - but nothing worked. A phone call to Microsoft support in Australia was also no help.Then I noticed a brief mention of file indexing - I checked and found that (I do not know how or when) Windows Search had been turned off. This is what worked for me:

1. Delete the existing FileHistory folder on my external hard drive
    2. Delete the folder users/%username%/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/FileHistory
    3. Using Computer Management>Services and Applications> Services
    Scroll down to Windows Search
    Double click on the name
    Set Startup type to Automatic (Delayed Start)
    Then in Control Panel>File History
    It should now say "File History on"
    Select you desired drive
    Click on Start
    A new file history started (for me) and took a long time.

RobertofRichmond, Jan 30, 2017
    Trouble likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. RobertofRichmond

VMaster

Thanks, Solved my problem.

VMaster, Jan 30, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. RobertofRichmond

Norton

Good to know. Thanks for passing along the info.

Norton, Jan 30, 2018
  4. RobertofRichmond

rangergord

Great stuff. Worked for me. Thanks

rangergord, Jan 9, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question