SOLVED Folder - File - Icon Naming issue

Reaction score
I did a fair amount of searching, and could not find a problem the same as mine. I do a lot of renaming to folders and files, and usually I just slowly click twice on the text, and once text shows as highlighted, I just rename.
All of sudden I can no long do this, you can click all day, and you can never see highlighted text. The only way I rename anything, is to right-click, and select rename, much slower process.
Has something in windows registry become corrupt, I can't say I've ever seen any kind of setting for this, unless it buried somewhere.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi HC1Gunner,

Welcome to the Forum.

The double-left-click to rename a file has been hard coded into Windows from Windows 95 till today's Windows 10. There is no Registry tweaking of this function.

If I recall in the classic shell if you have preview pane turned on it somehow prevented you using this option renaming files in the left pane, but simply going to folder options and select simple folder view resolved that - the equivalent in Windows 10 would be to click the View tab in File Explorer then click Preview pane to turn it off, assuming its currently on.

The only thing I can think of is your double-click mouse speed is somehow corrupted and even though you slowly click left twice on name of file, the system thinks you only clicked once.

If you press windows key and S key together to give focus to your Search box and type mouse & touchpad settings then press Enter key you will see a window open where you can click Additional mouse options which will open another window where you can adjust speed. That may be worth trying.

Failing that you may need to try a restore point to a date and time prior to this issue beginning to see whether that resolves the issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch, it was my double-click speed, after Windows update, it had be altered, and set all the way to the right. I put it back in the center, now works like it should...

Thank You!

Ask a Question