Folder Icons

Reaction score
i have a USB with many files on it, i created custom icons for each file and saved them in a folder on my desktop. Now if i plug the USB into a different computer how can i get those icons to work there as well. I did copy the icon folder to the second computer and placed it on the desktop and it still wont work..... any and all help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!!!1

Bob

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep and you are not alone....
This issue goes back quite some time and there is a ton of info out there on the net if you just google
Code:
custom folder icons are not preserved when copying
We even have had a few on this forum.

What I believe it boils down to is the native behavior of the Operating System as it pertains to file and folder attributes (and extended attributes) when copying them versus moving them.

It's reported (possibly speculated) that other utilities like "robocopy" and "xcopy" as well a third party commercial (some possibly free, some not so much) options that can be employed to preserve extended attributes. TeraCopy and MultiCommander no idea if any of these actually work as advertised.

Last edited:

Ask a Question