Forgot local windows 10 password

Rey

Reaction score
Hi,
How can I log in to my dell tablet now that I forgot the local password?
I have no recovery dusk or usb flash.

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Rey.

Years ago, someone did a study on forgotten passwords and concluded that the best solution is to take a walk or something. When you return, type in everything you can think of. If that does't work, here is a list of suggestions. Unfortunately, they are for computers that reject the correct password, but something here might help:

Go to the sign-in screen and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then try again.

For some weird reason, this sometimes works. In the bottom right corner there should be "ENG" for your keyboard. Click it to make sure it is using the right English. If it is, try changing it anyway--i.e. from US to UK or vice-versa

Make sure that you are not set to Caps Lock.

Try using the password for other Microsoft accounts. Specifically, try the password to your e-mail.

Try entering through Safe Mode. There is a Power Button on the sign-in screen that will help you do that.

Try using a different keyboard.

If you had a previous password, try entering that.

The problem might be the @ Despite what your keyboard says, sometime it is on 2 and sometimes it is on Q. Try using the other one. You probably have to press AltGr at the same time. Try pressing shift at the same time.

Does it say "I'm not..." in the lower left corner? If so, click it to see what it tells you. It might be stuck on an update and think that Windows 10 is not yet installed.

Sometimes this works. Restart your computer and keep pressing F8 until Advanced Options appears. Refresh or re-install Win 10. You might have to press F9 instead of F8.

Does it say "Your Name" in the bottom corner? Try typing in your account name.

Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord. Unplug all devices, including your mouse. Plug it in, turn it on, and see if it either installs upgrades or finishes re-installing Windows 10.

Try typing in the name of your computer. I don't know how this works, but on the sign-in screen, see if you have the actual name of your computer; if it is wrong, try to change it.

Reaction score
I have recently upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10. When the PC restated after the install, it asked for my log in password. Tried several times with no luck.
Eventually found the problem. the install changes the settings from UK to US. So the US keyboard effects what you key in. Changing the language at the bottom right of the log in screen allows you to change to UK. The password should now work!!!

I'm not a tech person, but thought this might help some.

Reaction score
Boot your computer with Windows 10 install DVD, you can add a new administrator account so you can regain full access to your system:
http://www.chntpw.com/reset-forgotten-windows-10-password/

If you don't have a install DVD, you can download Windows 10 ISO image from Microsoft's website (it's free to download), then burn the ISO to your DVD.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Can't find Windows partition via using chntpw. what is wrong?

Reaction score
I made a password reset disk with iSunshare as Jake B suggested. The problem is that both mouse and keyboard are inactive once the program is loaded.

Reaction score
Boot your computer with Windows 10 install DVD, you can add a new administrator account so you can regain full access to your system:
http://www.chntpw.com/reset-forgotten-windows-10-password/

If you don't have a install DVD, you can download Windows 10 ISO image from Microsoft's website (it's free to download), then burn the ISO to your DVD.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Restart the PC, hold down F8 once you enter the Windows® Boot Menu choose
Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and now type in the following:

after i do this a bunch of stuff shows up about systems loading shows up what does this mean?

net user root/add

localgroup Administrators root /add

net localgroup Users root /delete

The first command adds a new user called “root”, the second command adds
that user to the Administrators group and the third command removes the
user from the Users group which leaves him in the Administrators group.

Ask a Question