Daughter reset PW then promptly forgot it

Reaction score
So... It's not quite that simple...
She is taking an online course to learn Ancient Greek and uses a program that allows her to type using Greek symbols. The problem arose when she decided to change the account password to a Greek word using this keyboard application. Being that it is an non-windows application, it does not boot up until AFTER you have logged into windows. Therefore, she can't reproduce the symbols without use of the on-screen Ancient Greek keyboard. We are actually only unable to reproduce ONE symbol... The Omega with circumflex. It is the only character in her entire password for which there is NOT a special character shortcut. Her account is the only one on the computer. Therefore, I assume that makes her the admin. There was no PIN entered / picture chose when she initially setup the laptop. Changing our Windows, AKA Live, PW doesn't help because this is a 'local PW'. I can't just reinstall the OS and lose all of her work... Not to mention the last 5 years worth of family pictures my wife had JUST backed up onto the HD before moving them to a more secure environment. Can anybody give me any hope?

Reaction score
If you are comfortable taking the hard drive out of the machine and connecting it to another machine. Maybe the password could be entered from a different machine, giving access to all data needing to be retrieved.

Reaction score
Thanks Gentlemen for the replies.
Tom... Do you think using a USB drive with Win10 on it will work? I have downloaded from the MS site using the Media Creation Tool.

Reaction score
Provided the boot sequence of the machine is ordered such that the USB drive is prior to the hard drive in the sequence, I would think that would work fine.

Ask a Question