Forgot password

Reaction score
I have never used the System restore feature, but, surely, afterwards the user will still need a password?
pswatts: Click in here and follow the instructions:

Reaction score
Depends on the password. I wasn't going to ask which one. The limited description could be either one, local or Microsoft account. If it is the local account, system restore would reset everything, including the password. I'd hate to think, someone was asking how to bypass an online account password.

Reaction score
I empathise with your last comment. I have posted all I am prepared to.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seems to me, that while a system "reset" would indeed result in the need to re-establish a username and password....
A system "restore", is based on a point in time recovery and if a password existed at that point in time "that" password would have to be used in order to log in.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
System Restore
System Restore

System Restore is a Microsoft® Windows® tool designed to protect and repair the computer software. System Restore takes a "snapshot" of the some system files and the Windows registry and saves them as Restore Points. When an install failure or data corruption occurs, System Restore can return a system to working condition without you having to reinstall the operating system. It repairs the Windows environment by reverting back to the files and settings that were saved in the restore point.
SOURCE: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/959063/what-is-system-restore

Reaction score
That is not the origin of restore. Microsoft used the term to give their application a name, because it was all ready a well known term. Whether it was misunderstood or not didn't matter. I was confused whether to use restore or recovery in the 90's. There was no restore points in the 90's.

To clear things up I noticed the machine was an HP and knew within reason there would be a restore partition (aka: recovery). I was not referring to anything Windows as I knew with out a password all those utilities would be locked out.

I've already spent more time on a one post and run, borderline theft thread than I want. I knew I should have left it alone, when I wanted to point out the potential for theft in the beginning. I did however decide to give an answer, and remain quiet about the potential of breaking terms of service here on this forum.

Reaction score
"I've already spent more time on a one post and run, borderline theft thread than I want. I knew I should have left it alone,"
I know the feeling. I have recently got into the same situation.
But maybe, here, the op has the answers?

Ask a Question