Frequently entering sleep mode and not coming out without hard restart

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a Dell Optiplex 780 running four monitors. The machine keeps going into energy save mode and won't come out, requiring me to hold the power button for 20 seconds to shut down then restart. In the Power Options I've set everything I can think of to "never" but this hasn't solved the problem.

Seems to be random. Sometimes going for days, then happening every few minutes.

Gerard

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might want to go to the Dell support website, plug in your service tag number and see if they have a newer BIOS update, specifically for your particular computer.
Additionally, just as a possible test....
Try disabling Fast Startup
Right click the Start Button and choose power options from the context menu
Left column "Choose what the power buttons do"
Link near the top "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
Uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"
See if that has any impact on the problem.
IF not, turn it back on.

Reaction score
You might want to go to the Dell support website, plug in your service tag number and see if they have a newer BIOS update, specifically for your particular computer.
Additionally, just as a possible test....
Try disabling Fast Startup
Right click the Start Button and choose power options from the context menu
Left column "Choose what the power buttons do"
Link near the top "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
Uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"
See if that has any impact on the problem.
IF not, turn it back on.
Thanks. No Bios update available. At the moment I'm accessing the sleeping PC via wifi from my Surface 3 tablet to copy some data to an external drive, so can't try your power option suggestion for a few hours. Is there an easy way to wake it up via a wifi command from my tablet?

Reaction score
Hi how are you? that's been happening to me a few weeks ago. I have an Optiplex 3040M and it came with Windows 7. After the first week the computer started to enter in the sleep mode without any response. To make the story short, after done several "solutions" I upgrade the Operating System to Windows 10 and still with the problem. The last thing I did was upgrade the BIOS to a newer version. I compared my PC BIOS version with the Dell's one and they had a version ahead of mine. Go to Dell website, write your tag# and go to the BIOS driver and make sure you have the last update. If so, try to change the power options to "Power saver". After those changes, let the computer on for several hours to see how it goes and reply back. The screenshots are from Windows 7 because I am writing this from another computer but those two things I mentioned are the same for Windows 10.

Attachments

• Image.PNG
    Image.PNG
    35.1 KB · Views: 664
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    96.9 KB · Views: 676

Ask a Question