From 8.1 pro to 10

Reaction score
I have an H.P. desktop All-in-one computer with Windows 8.1 installed.

I have searched the Internet attempting to determine if I can upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

I have not been successful in this search.

I would like to know if I can upgrade for free, and if so, how to do this.

Reaction score
Windows 8.1 machines are entitled to a free update to W10 home. Windows update should be offering ( if not insisting!) you this update. If you are not being offered the update it could be because your machine is not compatible for some reason, the simplest reason being that you don't have enough free disk space.

You should see the update in optional updates. All of us on this forum would STRONGLY recommend that you do a full image backup to an external device before you do the update. If you look on the forum you will find a post by Trouble listing some relaible free programs to do such a backup. I like Paragon personally.

Note that you will have 30 days to revert to your 8.1 installation.

Reaction score
Sincere thanks for the reply.
Free disk space is not an issue. The computer has a TB hard disk.
I have downloaded your recommended backup program.
Now for the bad news. I have looked for the optional update but haven't found it. Although I did find I was behind in my updates for 8.1. So I completed that chore.
I will admit I am confused because I have a Dell laptop and had no problems updating it to Windows 10 from Windows 7
I'll keep at it, but I have to be extremely careful not to screw up the computer. My wife uses it the most and she wouldn't be happy if something happened. And if she ain't happy. I ain't happy. :(

Ask a Question