From Win 7 to 10, many many crashes

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mishkyn,

Actually those results seem normal to me. I assume at some time you enabled the Built-in Administrator on your system and you may well see that as a sign-in option on your logon page.

There will be some other SID keys in that area too, so to check what is there can you right-click on Start then left-click on Command Prompt and in the window enter the following command:

Code:
reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList"

Press Enter key

Sample Image

Untitled.png

You may have more or less keys - don't worry about that just now.

Post the results please.

Reaction score
Sorry R-32,
Did not realize you had started on page 2. This is the run in my administrator account, is that what you wanted?

Or do you want the other account? Heck, I'll do both.

Okay, first is while in the Admin acct:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-1185182139-3936779730-138790141-1000" /v ProfileImagePath

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-1185182139-3936779730-138790141-1000
ProfileImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Users\Tula.Panayiota

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-1185182139-3936779730-138790141-1003" /v ProfileImagePath

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-1185182139-3936779730-138790141-1003
ProfileImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Users\Admin

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
C:\WINDOWS\system32>
C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
Default REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemDrive%\Users\Default
ProfilesDirectory REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemDrive%\Users
ProgramData REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemDrive%\ProgramData
Public REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemDrive%\Users\Public

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-20
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-1185182139-3936779730-138790141-1000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-1185182139-3936779730-138790141-1003
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-82-3006700770-424185619-1745488364-794895919-4004696415

Now I am in my other account:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Tula.Panayiota>reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
Default REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemDrive%\Users\Default
ProfilesDirectory REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemDrive%\Users
ProgramData REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemDrive%\ProgramData
Public REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemDrive%\Users\Public

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-20
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-82-3006700770-424185619-1745488364-794895919-4004696415

C:\Users\Tula.Panayiota>

I was told by techs who had to repair my computer about 3 years ago that I should not use the Admin acct all the time as more malware will download because they do not have to ask permission.

They told me to use my "other" account for everyday surfing, and it has worked well and saved me a lot of time.

Hope this is what you need.
Mishkyn

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks Mishkyn,

I'll carry on digging now - that first log has over 9000 entries however thankfully nearly every error is identical except in some cases its for the SID ending -1003, and other times its the SID ending -1000.

The AppLog has many errors too, yet most are pointing to the Microsoft Solitaire. Does this currently work for you, or has it stopped working - I know many users have had troubles even updating it, let alone running it.

There are also some other applications I'll need to investigate too as they appear to be clashing with Administrative permissions on your System and thus will most likely crash, or not load properly,

Safe to say you better buy some lotions to rub on hands as you will be shortly getting a marathon of commands to enter to start fixing things.

Oh by the way, is your Windows Update service currently working - it's Patch Tuesday today and its a mighty update so you don't want to start downloading this if the Update Service is acting up as it will end up corrupting in that case.

Reaction score
Dear R-32
Guess I should stop playing solitaire. I usually play a game every morning, and a few hidden object games to kind of get me going, but rarely more than that. I guess the tech guys are right---games mess up your computer.

I will check update right now and get ready for some clean up. Do you think Defender does a better job than AVG? I get one opinion, then another---been told all kinds of things about which to use.

R-32---do you think I should get the Anniversary Update? I don't use Edge at all,just in a rare occasion when it is needed to pull something up; I cannot use Cortana unless I scream, and don't care about it enough to get a mike; cannot see using the emojis or dark themed apps; cannot imagine writing on my screen, won't it just put a lot of things on my computer I do not want?

Your opinion would be helpful, if you can give it.

Mishkyn

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Defender is light on resources as its built into the Windows OS.

It's OK but not personally convinced its better than other options. I use Norton 360 and find that is fine.

There are quite a few error reports associated with your AVG though; so perhaps there are some settings there you need to adjust to prevent it blocking or interrupting updates and other applications running properly.

If you do decide to remove AVG and use Defender, it would be a good idea to look into getting a free malware scanner, like Ad-ware, or Malwarebytes for example to run side by side with Defender.

As you play Solitaire each day I assume then it is running fine; despite some error messages pointing to this app.

There is no reason you ought not be able to play games on your computer. They should not mess anything up, although some older games might introduce an outdated Library file (DLL) to your system that Windows could moan about, but often these files remain within the program folder for the game so ought not give too much troubles.

One thing I did notice is there are several alerts to improper shutdown of computer. It's important you properly shut down the computer - so if you are not doing this, that may be why some of the other errors and troubles have occurred as an improper shutdown can corrupt System files, Profiles, etcetera.

Reaction score
Dear R-32
Thanks for all your help and advice. I have Malwarebytes Premium, and have used them for years. There are times when the cord is pulled out of the computer, or I accidentally step on the surge protector, turning it off, but not more than twice a week, at most, which is actually a lot of improper shutdowns all together.

There are not too many ways to set up AVG with the free edition, I think I used some site that tells you what to check and not to check, but perhaps I should try another.

Thanks again for all your time and help,
Mishkyn

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mishkyn,

With all the eye boggling glares are your System and App logs I forgot about the other issue you raised regarding Word. I've written a VBS script that will be able to pull the Product Key for your Word program if its still hiding there with registration keys.

Given its likely an older version I suspect this information will be in one of two locations,
but as I noted according to specifications for your model computer in theory it came with Works + Word, so I'll get you to do a few REG Queries for me as this will allow me to modify my Script to work on your computer.

If you can right-click on Start then left-click on Command Prompt and enter the following REG Queries then post the results back to me to review:

Code:
reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Registration\{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}" /v DigitalProductID

Press Enter key

Code:
reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office"

Press Enter

Code:
reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Works"

Press Enter

Code:
reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Works"

Press Enter

Reaction score
Dear R-32,
I feel bad you've been working so hard on my stuff. I assume this is what you want, I hope:

This is not using the admin. account

C:\Users\Tula.Panayiota>>>reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Registration\{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}" /v DigitalProductID
'query' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Tula.Panayiota>reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook

C:\Users\Tula.Panayiota>reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Works"
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

C:\Users\Tula.Panayiota>reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Works"
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

Take you time, I know you are solving lots of people's problems,
Mishkyn
cleardot.gif

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mishkyn,

I'm not sure why you received that first error re reg query not a recognized command. The other two are fine; they simply mean the key does not exist. It worked fine the other day for you.

How did you go with the latest Patch Tuesday update.

Did it install OK?

If it did then pressing Windows key and R key together and typing ms-settings:about in the run dialog and clicking OK ought to show that you current OS Build is 14393.197. Is that the case?

Edit: I made a typing mistake sorry! OS Build is 14393.187

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dear R-32,
I did this on my non-admin account, and this is my result: 14393.187. Close but no pipe.

Just did a ccleaner cleanout this afternoon. What are we looking for, exactly. Because if it is just to get Word back, I can definitely live without it. If I need help from something dangerous, then please let me know. .

Thanks,
Mishkyn
PS I did not install the Anniversary update as I am waiting to hear what others say about it, particularly since I do not use nearly everything it updates. Just did the normal update and it seemed to install okay. Took forever, in two separate long sessions.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mishkyn,

You have the latest OS Build,

I made a typing error in my question and should have typed OS Build 14393.187

Apologies for the confusion I caused there.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes I was attempting to get you to locate your DigitalProductID for Word.

With that I can give you a script I wrote that will convert that back to your actual Product Key, which would allow you then (if needed) to reinstall that particular version of Word and activate it with your legally owned Product Key, should you wish to.

If you do not want to get your Word working again that is fine; I'll drop that and continue with the other errors.

Reaction score
Thanks, R-32,
I can live without Word. I actually just mentioned it to talk about all that happened when switching from 7-10. First time I installed 10, Word came along, after that, every re-install or restore or whatever it is called, no Word. But again, I can live without it.

I am just the kind of person who feels the more I do, the more chances I have to goof up by doing it wrong, and I certainly do not want you wasting your time on something I can live without.

Thanks for everything you are doing.
Mishkyn

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mishkyn,

I've finished analyzing the System Log and have determined several of the recorded errors you suffered from were actually addressed and repaired by Microsoft via recent Cumulative Updates.

There are a few though that as yet have not been addressed.

Recently I posted an article on DistributedCOM errors which you can read here:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/event-id-10016-distributedcom.47/

Take a read as to help you fix those errors that article is describing what is involved in doing this. If you feel comfortable giving it a go I am happy to post specific instructions for your particular circumstances.

I still need to complete the App log analysis, but again some of the issues with Cortana and Solitaire have been addressed with Cumulative updates from Microsoft. So again, its likely if there is anything left to try to repair it will be only a few items.

Let me know what you want to do re the DistributedCOM issue.

Reaction score
Dear R-32,
First of all, thank you again for all your time and energy. I confess I am a bit confused and nervous about working with the registry.

Your work is so thorough and well-organized, which makes it easy to follow, but still, a bit scary for such a novice like me.

You wrote about some issues with Cortana and Solitaire have been addressed with the MS updates. I may have used Cortana 10 times just to play around with it, as my mike is no good and I don't care enough about talking to the computer to buy a mike. Cortana will not make my "computer experience" any better that I can see.. I only use the box at the bottom of cortana to search for something, other than that, have not talked to her since trying it out when I first changed to 10 and realized I had to scream to be heard.

You mentioned that ...its likely if there is anything left to try to repair it will be only a few items."

Are you referring to my whole computer when you mentioned a few items? or just to solitaire and cortana? Will it make a huge difference now or in the future to fix these things? If so, I am willing to do it, but if it is just a minor clean up, than I think my chances of making a damaging mistake are not worth it. But I trust you to tell me what possible difference it could do for my poor ancient laptop.

One extra favor: I update AVG and Malwarebytes 3-4 times a DAY. They need updating just about everytime I turn on the computer. I scan several times a day with Mal-bytes, and they never find a thing, AVG never finds anything, even with full scans, and Ccleaner does it usual clean up.

What can I do to keep the gunk out? Just hire someone to do a clean out once a year or so? I found some great fairly inexpensive techs who did a marvelous job for me a couple of years ago---patient, kind and cheap---kind of like you, R-32, but they were not quite as cheap--unless you accept tips..

I have heard about VIPRE. Win Cleaner, some Fix it thing and a bunch of other programs, but read just as many bad things about them as good things.

Don't know if you can recommend anything, but suggestions would be welcome. I have done some clean up following Major Geeks commands on my last computer, but even though everything is backed up multiple times, I don't want to go through any trouble if I can prevent it.

Sorry for the length, if you think my system will keep working longer and better by doing the Death Com (bad joke, I know), of course I will. This laptop is on its last legs, I do believe, and it will be my LAST laptop. Don't like the over heat troubles.
Thanks for everything,
Mishkyn

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mishkyn,

If you are daily scanning with AVG and Malwarebytes that really is enough in terms of keeping control of any rogue items we all get from time to time from websites.

I'd stay away from Viper Utility - it had its day during Windows 7 but really is not much good for Windows 10 in my opinion.

Clearing your internet caches from time to time is good which can be done from within the browser, or if you prefer you could get the free version of ccleaner which does this for you. That can be got here:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Personally I prefer to do things manually, but this is a great tool for people who are not sure about registry cleaning and general system cleaning. It even allows you to create restore points for any changes it makes so if something goes wrong you can easily return to state prior to a clean.

If you are downloading third party applications or free ones from the Store, just read the download information first and un-check any bundled software that has nothing to do with the application you wish to download.

By a few items I was referring to some DistributedCOM issues which you could manually overcome for now, or just wait for Microsoft to resolve them via Cumulative Updates, which they have all ready done for some of the issues you have experienced. Generally, Windows does fine on its own to fix these kinds of errors, just sometimes its easier to make some adjustments yourself to get things running more smoothly.

There were a couple of apps that triggered errors at one time on your system I was investigating. That was some time ago now though; and it may now be resolved via an update.

The only other issue was your long legs, and the power cables to your computer - maybe buy a high chair ;)

If you can avoid those kinds of shutdowns your laptop should mostly run fine unless of course it does overheat.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks so very much for your generosity, patience and kindness, you have been just wonderful to work with and I am so very grateful for all your help and advice.

I love Ccleaner and have used it for years===especially liked it after I discovered what the first "C" stood for.

Once again, must ask, when DO you sleep? Or perhaps it should be, "DO you sleep?"
Mishkyn

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm in New Zealand so I suspect our time zones are different.

Happy Computing - hopefully things will begin to stabilize now with the latest cumulative update.

Ask a Question