Google Photo Desktop

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Does anybody else use this. I do and love it. So my issue is; when did google upgrade it to the new "Backup and Sync"?

I did a clean install today (I needed to...it was time) and was reinstalling everything. When I went to download "Google Photo's for Desktop" and found that it was turned into the new "Backup and Sync". No issues with it....just wondering when did this happen and why didn't it get updated/upgraded through the regular google update channel?

Reaction score
HI bassfisher6522,

Google move in mysterious ways, I wanted to get Google Earth (for Linux) recently and they wanted me to login to a Google account which I declined to do, they are on the snooping bandwagon along with MS it seems these days?. :D:D:D

Reaction score
HI bassfisher6522,

Google move in mysterious ways, I wanted to get Google Earth (for Linux) recently and they wanted me to login to a Google account which I declined to do, they are on the snooping bandwagon along with MS it seems these days?. :D:D:D
Huh? Google's been on the snooping "bandwagon" for many, many years. Android has been around how long now? 9 years? ;)

Reaction score
Hey Wolfie. I also like google earth on my computer. I have recently installed the latest - not for Linux but Windows, ver 7.3.0.3832 (32-bit). I wasnt, at any time, asked to log in to anything? Maybe just the linux version??

Reaction score
You are of course right @BigFeet!. Just letting of some steam!. :) I am really fed up with all of the websites and companies out there that demand you register with them, I don't want to do that as enough people have my data already and I am sure they share the info amongst each other anyway!. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hi Dave, I was looking for the latest Linux version and on the downloads page, it wanted my Google account for whatever reason, I got around it by downloading an older version which works fine!. :):):) I may have clicked on something that required a Google account but really cannot remember. I got it sorted anyway so I am happy!. :D:D:D

Fyi, I am trying the dev version of the latest Ubuntu release (17.10) at the mo, it needs a few tweaks but other than that, it is okay for general computing!. :):):)

Reaction score
Just recently, it has evolved into a really useful tool for me. I am in the process of trying to sell my too large property, and buy something in town that is smaller.
Google earth gives me the opportunity, in most cases, of having a "Street level" look at houses that interest me.

Reaction score
I downloaded it about a month ago on Linux Mint and was never prompted to enter my google account. Maybe this is very recent, IDK. I have another PC with Linux Mint, if I think of it tomorrow, I'll give it a download.

Reaction score
HI BigFeet,

a direct link for you here:

https://www.google.com/earth/download/gep/agree.html

Both .deb and rpm packages available!.

You shouldn't be asked for any Google account stuff with the above link!. :D:D:D

My current Ubuntu version (they seem to be giving the "Pro" version away these days?). :):):)

About Google Earth_002.jpg

Ask a Question