Google fiber speed reduction

Reaction score
I use Google fiber for internet and in the past couple of months my connect speed has gone down. Don't get me wrong, I still have excellent speed, about 600mbs upload and download, but it was up better than 900mbs. The Google technician hooked his laptop into the same wired port that I use for my desktop and his speed were very near 1gbs. Is there something in Windows10 that could possibly causing the difference? Some setting that might have changed with one of Windows updates? I did notice that my ethernet port driver had been updated a couple of months ago, but reverting to the older driver didn't help. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Have you tried several different speedtests? Not all speedtests are equal at high speeds.

Reaction score
Have you tried several different speedtests? Not all speedtests are equal at high speeds.

Yes. And, a couple of different providers. The Google tech was using the exact same one I usually use, the one provided by Google. I did get a bit of an increase speed by connecting to a provider, not here locally, but in Oklahoma City, over 300 miles away( it still wasn't near 1Gbs). I thought that was strange. What puzzles me most, is that the technician was using the exact same modem port that I had been and still use. I tried a different port, but nothing changed.

Reaction score
How old is your laptop?? Windows 10 has quite a few issues with my very old laptop as most of the time I can't even see my other pc on the network, but only with this one. I have a laptop that is a year younger where I do not have those issues. I think it is driver related. Might be a good point to start.

Remember, the newest driver might not always be the best....

Reaction score
How old is your laptop?? Windows 10 has quite a few issues with my very old laptop as most of the time I can't even see my other pc on the network, but only with this one. I have a laptop that is a year younger where I do not have those issues. I think it is driver related. Might be a good point to start.

Remember, the newest driver might not always be the best....

It's a desktop. And, as I originally stated, up until a couple of month ago, my upload and download speeds were very close to the maximum of 1Gbs. I'm not using wi/fi, either. Hard wired to the Google Fiber modem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When the tech did the test....
Did he use your ethernet cable or his own??

Reaction score
Try switching out your ethernet cable. Also I've had Windows update replace my ethernet card driver with a worse one.

Reaction score
When the tech did the test....
Did he use your ethernet cable or his own??

He used his. I can switch it out, I have several, but it's Difficult to imagine a cable that never moves could go bad. I have plenty of cable and connectors, so I can even make a new one. Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Try switching out your ethernet cable. Also I've had Windows update replace my ethernet card driver with a worse one.

I checked the driver and it had been updated. But, reverting to the old driver didn't help. I'll tray a new cable, though. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I only asked because I would think that getting end to end gig speed would require some excellent cabling (6a) and any blemish or flaw in the shielding or crimping, or the ends themselves might show up in the form of crosstalk and impact the performance.

Reaction score
By any chance is your ethernet chip/card made by Killer Networks? Mine is and there is a program that allows you to change the speeds of different connections. Once I changed a few settings my download/uploads were back to normal.

Reaction score
By any chance is your ethernet chip/card made by Killer Networks? Mine is and there is a program that allows you to change the speeds of different connections. Once I changed a few settings my download/uploads were back to normal.

The ethernet connector is part of the ASUS motherboard, so I have now idea who made the sucker.

Reaction score
The ethernet connector is part of the ASUS motherboard, so I have now idea who made the sucker.
then look in the device manager. it should show something like this:

2018-08-05_202643.jpg

Reaction score
Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller #2. I checked their web site and I have the latest driver.

Reaction score
Change the ethernet cable as others have suggested here. If that still doesn't solve the issue then try scanning your computer for malware. The free version of Malwarebytes works really good. Then run your antivirus scan. Malware can slow down your system too.

Reaction score
Change the ethernet cable as others have suggested here. If that still doesn't solve the issue then try scanning your computer for malware. The free version of Malwarebytes works really good. Then run your antivirus scan. Malware can slow down your system too.

Followed your suggestions. No improvement.

Reaction score
What browser are you using to run the speed test? I have found that Opera is considerably slower than Firefox when I run my speed tests. Maybe try running the test with another browser. Other than that I am out of ideas without having the computer in front of me to look at. Sorry.

Reaction score
What browser are you using to run the speed test? I have found that Opera is considerably slower than Firefox when I run my speed tests. Maybe try running the test with another browser. Other than that I am out of ideas without having the computer in front of me to look at. Sorry.

I've been using Google Chrome for several years. Running a speed test under Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer gives me download speeds extremely low. Only about 220 Mbps download and 140 Mbps uploads. I'm getting from 500 to 600 Mbps using Chrome. Chrome is what the technician used when he checked the system out and he was getting greater that 900 Mbps. That's what I used to get. But, after the last few Windows updates, things just seem to get slower and slower.

Ask a Question