Google fiber speed reduction

Reaction score
The fact your system is showing controller #2 means there was something wrong with #1 so it switched automatically.

Things I would do.....

Check internal transfer rates to see if they approach the Gigabit speeds

Uninstall the drivers for the Ethernet adapter by uninstalling the device and checking the box go remove all drivers. Have the correct driver downloaded and ready so you can do this off line. If you were to have several versions of the driver on your system, you may need to uninstall multiple times to get rid of those, then reinstall the downloaded driver

Get an external Ethernet adapter for testing or have another unit to test with.

You need to at least determine if the problem in in your system of some component prior. The speed can be no faster than the slowest component. If some software was required for the Google connection, reinstall that also.

Reaction score
The fact your system is showing controller #2 means there was something wrong with #1 so it switched automatically.

Things I would do.....

Check internal transfer rates to see if they approach the Gigabit speeds

Uninstall the drivers for the Ethernet adapter by uninstalling the device and checking the box go remove all drivers. Have the correct driver downloaded and ready so you can do this off line. If you were to have several versions of the driver on your system, you may need to uninstall multiple times to get rid of those, then reinstall the downloaded driver

Get an external Ethernet adapter for testing or have another unit to test with.

You need to at least determine if the problem in in your system of some component prior. The speed can be no faster than the slowest component. If some software was required for the Google connection, reinstall that also.

I'll try those suggestions next week. Family duties first. Two questions, though. How does one check "internal" speed and where is an external adapter connected? PCIe slot?

Thanks

Reaction score
As a follow up, I've discovered that if I delete the adapter and its driver, then let Windows search for hardware changes, Windows re-installs the adapter and drivers from 2015. Speeds are then near max at over 900Mbps and usually stay in that range for several hours. Speeds do eventually drop back to about 500Mbps, especially when I boot up the next day. Deleting the adapter and drivers, again, recovers back to the 900Mbps area.

I downloaded the latest drivers from Realtek's web site and the newest drivers always run at about 500Mbps no matter what I do.

Also, the #2 is just part of the name, apparently. There doesn't seem to be a #1.

Reaction score
Windows re-installs the adapter and drivers from 2015.
Also, the #2 is just part of the name, apparently. There doesn't seem to be a #1.
Are drivers from 2015 the latest you show from your OEM or for that specific device?

Again, the #2 means some problem was detected in the original install of that device. Find the latest driver and uninstall version #1 and #2 which may only be visible if you select show hidden devices from the view menu.

If you do this off line, Windows may not reinstall an errant driver.

Ask a Question