Hdd to ssd , no windows disk

Reaction score
I've got a Dell studio my hdd crapped out went to an ssd but don't have a windows disk is it possible to boot the pc with out purchasing a new copy of windows I was running windows 10 before

Reaction score
I've got a Dell studio my hdd crapped out went to an ssd but don't have a windows disk is it possible to boot the pc with out purchasing a new copy of windows I was running windows 10 before
Yes, the Windows license is perfectly valid after a drive change, it's just motherboard and CPU changes that affect the license (and even then you can still use your old license).

Get the Windows media creation tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10, and use the tool to download the Windows installation files to a USB flash drive (8GB min size). You then boot that USB drive and install Windows to your new SSD. It will activate normally after the install.

Reaction score
Why not try 32 bit download first. Also, if your computer is quite old, there may be problems with drivers on the 64Bit version.

Reaction score
Somewhere on the frame there should be a label with the original serial number on it. I read that many users have had success, even at this late date, installing windows 10 with the MCT and using that number. Worth a try. It is important that you download the correct edition, s is on that same label - probably Home edition.

Reaction score
What is the model number of your Dell Studio as it should have come with Win-7 64bit. Download the Win-10 install files from Microsoft onto an 8GB USB drive, make sure that you install the last bios version of this laptop and it's also good to run the max RAM for this laptop as all this will make this old laptop perform at it's peak with Win-10 64bit. Btw I've done this to a few old and lije 2010 vintage laptops like the Aspire 5750 with an oem i5-2410M cpu (updated to an i7-2740QM and 8GB RAM with a Samsung EVO 850 2.5" SSD drive and a slave in its DVD space) that came with Win-7 32bit and insalled Win-10 Pro 64bit and it worked perfectly and 100% and is a great laptop still as and its one of my spare old laptops, as I've also got others like an Aspire V3-571G that is even better with Win-10 Pro. So You should have no problems.

Ask a Question