Move/migrate programs from SSD C: to HDD D:

Reaction score
Hello:

My laptop have a start SDD C: and an aditional HDD D:

My SDD C: is almost full with WIN 10 OS and I need to move/migrate application programs to HDD D: WITHOUT UNISTALLING/INSTALLING ALL THEM

¿Is there a safe way to do that?

TYIA

Reaction score
My wifes laptop had the same problem., using big apps such a Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Autodesk products etc. We did have to uninstall and reinstall from C: to D: but it wasn't a big deal. We started with the largest programmes and worked down to the smaller ones, though either Autodesk or Adobe (I forget which) couldn't be moved. We also bought a larger SSD C: and cloned the old one onto the new one (using another PC and free HD Cloning software) and then adjusted the partition size to recognise the new size hardrive. I followed online guides for both HD replacement and cloning. Pretty straight forward if you have some experience

Reaction score
The problem of moving programs has existed since at least Windows 95. Windows-based programs have to be installed so as to get the main files in the proper folder, support files put in the Windows folder then Registry entries made so Windows knows how to run them and icons/shortcuts created.

Reaction score
The problem of moving programs has existed since at least Windows 95. Windows-based programs have to be installed so as to get the main files in the proper folder, support files put in the Windows folder then Registry entries made so Windows knows how to run them and icons/shortcuts created.
One useful point to note, for Gamers, is that Steam (The gaming platform) does allow you to move install folders between drives if you go to the Game, right click for Properties, click Local Files and then "Move Install Folder". Useful when you want to move a 60GB game from your SSD.

Reaction score
One useful point to note, for Gamers, is that Steam (The gaming platform) does allow you to move install folders between drives if you go to the Game, right click for Properties, click Local Files and then "Move Install Folder". Useful when you want to move a 60GB game from your SSD.
That certainly proves that some folks are better programmers when considering the needs of users of their programs and the always-changing technology.

Reaction score
My wifes laptop had the same problem., using big apps such a Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Autodesk products etc. We did have to uninstall and reinstall from C: to D: but it wasn't a big deal. We started with the largest programmes and worked down to the smaller ones, though either Autodesk or Adobe (I forget which) couldn't be moved. We also bought a larger SSD C: and cloned the old one onto the new one (using another PC and free HD Cloning software) and then adjusted the partition size to recognise the new size hardrive. I followed online guides for both HD replacement and cloning. Pretty straight forward if you have some experience

Reaction score
Many thanks for your answer. Best regards, Jorge

Reaction score
Many thanks for your answer. Best

Reaction score
Many thanks for your answer. Best

Reaction score
Hello:

My SDD C: is almost full with WIN 10 OS and I need to move/migrate application programs to HDD D: WITHOUT UNISTALLING/INSTALLING ALL THEM

TYIA

My SSD ("C" start disk) contains ONLY the OS! All applications are on my "D" disk, A small SSD disk (128) is not enough today to fill all needs. Remember in the early days, when starting computer technics, you had to partition your hard disk in 4 area's "C"=System, "D" Apps, "E" Data, and eventually "F" Rescue. Still adapt this view, My system ( W10 professional starts in 10''.

Reaction score
My SSD ("C" start disk) contains ONLY the OS! All applications are on my "D" disk, A small SSD disk (128) is not enough today to fill all needs. Remember in the early days, when starting computer technics, you had to partition your hard disk in 4 area's "C"=System, "D" Apps, "E" Data, and eventually "F" Rescue. Still adapt this view, My system ( W10 professional starts in 10''.
Many thanks too for your sound advise. Best regards.

Reaction score
Tried it for a Origin game Battlefield 4 to move to the SSD. It worked. You can try it yourself:

Reaction score
Hello:

TYIA
The simplest solutions are as follows; you either buy a bigger capacity SSD and clone drive C to the new SSD or you delete the software off drive C and reinstall it onto drive D to free up space. Its also advisable to have an SSD slave drive (not necessarily essential) but an SSD slave drive will be a much quicker drive to install your software and games onto so that this does not happen and both drives are of equal performance. .

Reaction score
One reason why I ALWAYS prefer to use the portable version of an application if available. I also make a copy of the desktop folder with all the shortcuts. In this situation in the event of requiring formatting and reinstallation of OS my applications are functional without much ado. Just copy back/restore the saved desktop folder shortcuts.

Reaction score
Hello:

Reaction score
Get a bigger SSD, they are pretty cheap. Download the free version of easeus todo backup. You will also need a bridge or a dock to connect the new SSD to the laptop. Clone the current SSD to the new one and install it in place of the current SSD. You can now wipe the current drive and use it as an external with your bridge used for cloning.
The question I have is, what's filling the SSD? IS it garbage, programs, movies or what. Run Disk cleanup and click the system button. When it finally opens look for previous windows versions and delete that if you find one. That will clear up 20-almost 30 gig of uselessness that will slow you down and waste space.I have a lot on my 250gn SSD and it's half full.

Reaction score

The simplest solutions are as follows; you either buy a bigger capacity SSD and clone drive C to the new SSD or you delete the software off drive C and reinstall it onto drive D to free up space. Its also advisable to have an SSD slave drive (not necessarily essential) but an SSD slave drive will be a much quicker drive to install your software and games onto so that this does not happen and both drives are of equal performance. .
Many thanks for your sound adise. Best regards.

Reaction score

Reaction score
Get a bigger SSD, they are pretty cheap. Download the free version of easeus todo backup. You will also need a bridge or a dock to connect the new SSD to the laptop. Clone the current SSD to the new one and install it in place of the current SSD. You can now wipe the current drive and use it as an external with your bridge used for cloning.
The question I have is, what's filling the SSD? IS it garbage, programs, movies or what. Run Disk cleanup and click the system button. When it finally opens look for previous windows versions and delete that if you find one. That will clear up 20-almost 30 gig of uselessness that will slow you down and waste space.I have a lot on my 250gn SSD and it's half full.

Ask a Question