How do I remove an old email account from my Microsoft account?

jpk

Reaction score
I stupidly activated two way account verification on my MS account. The second email account is now dead as it was hijacked a couple of years ago. I have been unable to remove it from my account. How do I correct this? MS no longer does live support and their on line solutions are not working for me. I now have a dead computer that is locked out from Windows and is now a paperweight. MS says I have to wait 30 days before I can reset my security setting. Is there a work around? Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Can you remove the hard drive and copy the files to another computer? You should then be able to reload Windows again and use a new account. I recently did this for a friend as she did not want to wait the 30 days you mentioned.

jpk

Reaction score
The computer is a laptop. I can remove the hard drive and load the files on my desktop. So do I then load windows off the rescue partition on the original drive? I don't know if that will work. Won't MS just see that as just a reinstall of the OS?

Reaction score
Step 1 should be to save your current files somewhere else.

Step 2 is to create a bootable Windows 10 USB drive that you can use to reload a fresh Windows 10 installation. You can go to http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d and create a bootable USB drive. Boot your computer to that and load Windows 10. Your Windows 10 computer should be recognized as having been activated before so it should activate Windows again.

Ask a Question