Remove Placeholder Text from Search Bar in Microsoft Edge

Remove Placeholder Text from Search Bar in Microsoft Edge

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit32 submitted a new article:

Remove Placeholder Text from Search Bar in Microsoft Edge - How to remove the 'Search or enter web address' placeholder text from Microsoft Edge Search Bar

Depending on which Build of Windows 10 and which version as a result of Microsoft Edge you are using you will in both cases see some placeholder text in the Search bar, or your Address bar if its set for web searching.

That text reads 'Search or Enter web address' and appears like so in Edge:

Either:

View attachment 7485

Or:

View attachment 7486

With a couple of simple Registry tweaks you can remove the placeholder text.

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
I never really noticed it until now, I very seldom use Edge browser so I won't bother myself. That said, I am sure that there are people out there that will be grateful for your contribution @Regedit32, keep up the good work!. :):):)

Reaction score
Like Wolfie, I have not noticed it. Most times I have the Cortana feature hidden. I use a third party search which is more efficient.
But, if you do not care to mess around with altering the registry manually, there are several articles on the subject, if you browse, including reg files which only need a double click to make the customisation automatically.

Ask a Question