SOLVED Moving from Windows 7 on a HDD to Windows 10 on a SSD

Reaction score
Is it possible to install a small SSD and when it comes round to upgrade time ( Win 7 to Win 10 )get the upgrade to

recognise the SSD which is sat next to the HDD, [ which will be seen as a second drive] which currently runs Win 7

and get it to install onto the SSD ?

Can anybody please tell me the space required for a Windows 10 upgrade installation ?

A note to Mods if this is in the wrong section [ I am sorry], please move it, Thanks

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
A bit confusing to understand......

In order for the upgrade to take place on the SSD from 7 to 10....windows 7 has to be installed on the SSD.

So do a clean install of 7 on the SSD and fully update it, then wait for the "Reserve windows 10 " icon to appear and reserve your copy. Then you should have no issues with the upgrade.

Reaction score
If it were me I'd upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 on the HDD, get the key for Windows 10, and then clean install Windows 10 on the SSD.

Hi Clifford

That sounds like a plan better than the anything else that I have read.

I am marking your solution as solved.

I have also given you a LIKE tick

Tony

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I want to take my Win7 installation on HD to Win10 and SSD.

The suggested solution only seems to be partial, because Win10 updated Win7 together with all programs one has installed, as far as I read.

But if you upgrade to Win10 on HD, you still have all the programs but to move to SSD you would lose all of them in a clean install?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Windows (any version) doesn't care what type of hard drive it resides on.
The problem is that when you attempt to either clone one disk to the other or write a system / disk image from one disk to the other you must have enough space on the destination disk.
So if you have an SSD of sufficient size then you can perform the move before or after the upgrade, it shouldn't make a bit of difference it's all about the size of the source disk as compared to the destination disk.
Your programs, data, drivers and such should all be preserved intact after the upgrade, but there is no way I would consider upgrading without first making a complete image of my disk.
See this thread https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Ask a Question