SOLVED Moving my windows 10 pro to a new computer.

Reaction score
I am in the progress to set up a new computer with uefi bios using my windows HD that have ben on a computer with no uefi bios. I wonder if I will get in trouble booting this up. Will i get into trouble doing this move regarding the NO UEFI to UEFI transfer?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I suspect Microsoft will not recognize the new motherboard so will throw a tantrum.

You'll likely need to contact Microsoft to ensure you can enable the OS

Reaction score
I know by reading the manual to the new motherboard the bios can be set to no UEFI. So that might be the solution if I get into trouble. The reason for the move is that the former motherboard stopped working

Reaction score
To be able to use your hard drive further you need to set the BIOS to legacy (which is the old MBR) otherwise the new motherboard will not be able to boot. If it is set right, Windows will start but it may take a while until you will be able to use it (due to driver installation). I am sure Windows will complain that it is not activated since a motherboard change is, according to Microsoft, a major change. A phone call to reactivate your key is most likely needed.

Reaction score
To be able to use your hard drive further you need to set the BIOS to legacy (which is the old MBR) otherwise the new motherboard will not be able to boot. If it is set right, Windows will start but it may take a while until you will be able to use it (due to driver installation). I am sure Windows will complain that it is not activated since a motherboard change is, according to Microsoft, a major change. A phone call to reactivate your key is most likely needed.

I know about the activation problem. I have to buy a new key because my windows is a free upgrade from windows 7 pro so the moving and activating on a new motherboard is not supported.

Reaction score
I though wonder if I can install a new windows upon the old and then choose to repair? Is this possible?

I have a lot of expensive software installed.

Reaction score
This exemption should be available no matter which type of license you’re using. It ensures you don’t have to buy a new Windows license for a PC if its motherboard breaks. However, to take advantage of this exemption, you’ll have to contact Microsoft via the phone activation process. You may have to talk to a representative and explain what you’re doing, or the automated system may just work.

Quote from the following link, as suggested, contact MS and explain what you need to do is the best way imo.

https://www.howtogeek.com/261053/when-can-you-move-a-windows-license-to-a-new-pc/ ;)

Reaction score
This exemption should be available no matter which type of license you’re using. It ensures you don’t have to buy a new Windows license for a PC if its motherboard breaks. However, to take advantage of this exemption, you’ll have to contact Microsoft via the phone activation process. You may have to talk to a representative and explain what you’re doing, or the automated system may just work.

Quote from the following link, as suggested, contact MS and explain what you need to do is the best way imo.

https://www.howtogeek.com/261053/when-can-you-move-a-windows-license-to-a-new-pc/ ;)

My brother tried this and was told by a Microsoft representative that because it was a free upgrade from win 7 pro the activation will not work but he had to buy a new key.

Reaction score
I though wonder if I can install a new windows upon the old and then choose to repair? Is this possible?

I have a lot of expensive software installed.
I do not think that will be necessary once you have reactivated your system as Wolfie mentioned.
The most important part though is that you set the BIOS to legacy and all should come together again.
I do not think your idea of repairing a new install will be possible as your programs are installed in the old version but then I have never tried it...

I suggest you set the legacy support and boot into Windows, reactivating it by phone. If that does not work, we can think of other solutions.
BTW: I assume you have installation media of your expensive programs (in case of a reinstall)??

Reaction score
I know about the activation problem. I have to buy a new key because my windows is a free upgrade from windows 7 pro so the moving and activating on a new motherboard is not supported.

Well you can activate with a new motherboard as long as it's the same. You can replace a damaged MB with the same model. Upgrading isn't supported. Do you login with your MS account? Was your PC an OEM PC? With OEM Windows?

Reaction score
Well you can activate with a new motherboard as long as it's the same. You can replace a damaged MB with the same model. Upgrading isn't supported. Do you login with your MS account? Was your PC an OEM PC? With OEM Windows?
The new motherboard is not the same as this that fails. the Windows is an oem win 7 pro that i got upgraded to win 10pro at the time this was offered. I am still in Progress Building this new pc which will bee an i7 on gaming board. I will se how it goes with activating. I have a oem win 10 present that I will try with, If that is not working i will buy a Windows from Windows store.

Ask a Question