SOLVED HDMI cable - allow access after lock.

Reaction score
1) My main PC - I have full admin access
2) I have a 2nd screen - Connected by HDMI (i think?)

3) a laptop - I am NOT admin, just a user.

I have an extra HDMI cable permanently connected to my 2nd screen.

ISSUE:

If I open up the laptop, I insert the other end of the HDMI cable and my 2nd screen is extended - for the laptop. The laptop has control of my 2nd screen.

if i LOCK the laptop, my 2nd screen stops being controlled by the laptop, & reverts to my main PC.

When I log back in to my laptop, I WANT the laptop to use the 2nd screen. However Ive got to physically unplug the HDMI from the laptop, & re-plug it in again to gain control.

Is there a way to alter PC 1 (above) that I have admin on, to tell my 2nd screen that the 2nd HDMI cable is given priority? (without plugging in/unplugging the cable)

- If my laptop isn't connected - my main PC has control over the 2nd screen
- if my laptop IS connected (but locked - not active) my main PC has control.

- If I plug the HDMI into my laptop, OR log-in (no longer locked and HDMI is already connected) my laptop controls the 2nd screen. without manually taking out & plugging in the HDMI.

Reaction score
This sounds to me like an issue with the 'second screen'. Is that a monitor or a TV?

It sounds as though you have two HDMI inputs to the second screen, one from the PC and one from the laptop, and the second screen is having trouble switching internally from one input to the other.

Reaction score
2nd screen is

Dell 24 Monitor - SE2417HGX​

Yes - there are 2 x HDMI connections - main PC and 2nd monitor (above). and a 2nd HDMI going from 2nd screen to no-where (until I plug the laptop in)

If I plug my laptop in, it takes over the 2nd screen (what I want). But I'll like it to REMAIN under the laptop control until I actually disconnect the HDMI from the laptop.

(cant / don't want to disconnect the second HDMI from 2nd screen - As it's behind the computer & hard to see/get there..)

I guess I cant do what I want?

Reaction score
SOLVED - I checked last night & found some other unrelated queries. But found a menu option that works.

if I press the Windows-P, I get a menu. which has

a) PC screen Only
b) duplicate
c) extend
d) second screen only.

On the main PC, I select (A) - PC screen only. the 2nd screen goes dark.

on my laptop, I insert the HDMI cable & I can then use the 2nd screen for the laptop. I can lock/unlock the laptop multiple times a day, and my 2nd screen works perfectly. it auto-connects to the laptop.

I've now turned off my laptop, & on my main Pc do windows-P again & do EXTEND. then I can now use my 2nd screen as normal.

Ask a Question