No sound after upgrading to GTX 1060 (using HDMI cable/dual monitors)

Reaction score
Hello,

So yesterday I've bought a GTX 1060 6GB (MSI version) and replaced my old GT 730. So previously I used DVI and VGA for my monitors (as I didn't have a HDMI port on old GT 730). And now I'm using HDMI on one of my monitor and DVI on the other one.
Right after upgrading to GTX 1060 I've understood that I have no sound on my SPEAKERS and so far nothing has helped. I'll post a list of the things I've already did (which is about 5 pages of Google search all over)
• Tried plugging in only one monitor (the one with DVI) - still no sound.
• Replaced my GPU into another slot on my motherboard - still no sound.
• Uninstalled/Reinstalled/Deleted/Disabled/Removed drivers and devices from Device Manager - still no sound.
• Have my Speakers as default on Sound options menu
n9shyv
0KyuAQT.png
(the green bars are moving when I try to play something) - still no sound.
• REINSTALLED WINDOWS and did everything above from the beginning - sitll no sound.
• Enabled onboard sound card in BIOS - still no sound.
• Updated all the drivers - still no sound.
• Might have forgotten some other steps I did, but I've tried almost everything I could find on the Google search.

System summary:
inX4BF
YX5BDTe.png

Sound summary:
SldqKTK.png
fheHWF

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does your monitor have speakers built in ? MIne does and I see the monitor as the speakers device. I am using an Nvidia card and connecting to the monitor HDMI. My Samsung monitor has an audio out jack which I use instead of the speakers built in.

The point being that the HDMI connection has the sound IF THERE IS A sound device on the connection. If your monitor has speakers which are turned off this might be the problem.

I bet that if you plugged the HDMI connection from your PC into a TV suddenly you'd get sounds.

So I think you have to plug the speakers into a good old fashioned green sound jack and, probably with the Nvidia control panel, turn of the Nvidia sound.

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, but I will have to check my other system, you should show the Nvidia HDMI audio outputs.. You may want to try a clean install of the Nvidia driver which should install those devices. If the driver from the old card is interfering, it might stop the full installation.

Most Nvidia updates give you the option of doing a clean install. One other thing, if you do not use the Nvidia Experience you might do a custom install and not install that.

Reaction score
@bassfisher6522 It's Microlab FC-530 ones.

@Tim Locke My monitor does not have speakers built in. But it does pick up my monitor in sound devices sometimes.

@Saltgrass I have tried clean installing the NVidia drivers (as I said, I even reinstalled Windows and installed everything from scratch with no luck). And yes, I am using Experience so I had that clean install option.

One more thing I have catched right now that the monitor that shows up on Playback devices is not the one that I'm using HDMI with. It's the one with DVI connection.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Are you connecting the green 3.5mm jack from your speakers to the green port on the I/O area of mobo? Does this speaker setup have a inline volume/power control?

Reaction score
I like to use external speakers since I have not seen any built-in ones which will shake the room.. ;)

But this is how mine looks... As you can see, I have one monitor with speakers..

HDMI.jpg

Reaction score
Are you connecting the green 3.5mm jack from your speakers to the green port on the I/O area of mobo? Does this speaker setup have a inline volume/power control?

http://i.imgur.com/PFIs6JV.png Shows over here that it's plugged in to the green one. I have been using the speakers prior upgrading the graphics card just fine with no issues.

I like to use external speakers since I have not seen any built-in ones which will shake the room.. ;)

But this is how mine looks... As you can see, I have one monitor with speakers..

View attachment 5047

Mine are external too (Microlabs)

Ask a Question