Help formatting drive or ??? for new installation of windows

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Dell 5567 laptop cheap .... 5 or 6 years old ... would not run unless plugged in ... put in a new battery (first time I had a laptop apart) ... works great.
It had no disks with it ... has windows 10 home version.
I wanted to put a new clean installation of windows 10 on it.
I figured out how to make a bootable USB ... did the F12 ... got it to find the USB (didn't at first something about UEFI vs legacy so I burned a new USB using MBR option in RUFUS) and start the installation ...
Now I have problems.
It won't upgrade without the original disc .. no problem as I wanted a fresh install.
I tried the custom install option ...
It has 4 partitions ... system ... MSR (reserved) .. primary ... recovery
The drive is 1 TB
It won't let me install into any of them! It gives a message saying "cant install in partition ..... part of ..."
So what do I do?
Do I delete the partitions ... or format them or ???
If I delete them, do I make new ones ... how big ??
Just not sure what to do here ... no really a computer guy .. more of a "mr fix it"
I have include a picture of the screen I am stuck on.
Thanks!
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1115.jpeg
    IMG_1115.jpeg
    753.9 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Did you have the option to erase entire disk and install? If so choose that and windows will create all the partitions it needs. Probably 3, the main C drive and 2 smaller ones.

Reaction score
Did you have the option to erase entire disk and install? If so choose that and windows will create all the partitions it needs. Probably 3, the main C drive and 2 smaller ones.
No, I wish I had that option ... and really that is what I am trying to do.

I am "guessing" I can erase each partition and just make new ones but I wanted to check first and see if that is the correct thing to do.

Thanks

Reaction score
Yes delete them but then create just one NTFS partition about 100Gb. Then try to install. Windows will create the smaller ones.

Reaction score
I have done this by just deleting all the partitions and then letting Windows do its thing. IRC will be 4 partitions for EUFI.

100Mb EFI System partition, the 'c' drive ( most of the my 500GB disk) 1GB recovery partition and on my pc 8Mb unallocated

Reaction score
Today I installed W10 on an ssd that had Linux Mint on it. Windows asked where to install and offered to delete existing partitions(2) so I chose that. The entire disk was then unallocated, was given the option to create a partition, chose yes and then, the notice that Windows may create additional partitions. Chose yes/next and the install went great.

Ask a Question