Help Request: Cloning Dual Boot Unsuccessful (Win10 HDD)

Reaction score
My dual boot desktop has each OS (WinXP, Win10) installed on a separate HDD. I've tried to clone the Win10 drive using Niubi Partition Editor without success. I used a SATA to USB adapter to externally connect the larger target drive. The Niubi's cloning wizard completed and reported it was successful. I then moved the recovery partition to the end of the cloned drive and resized its primary partition to consume all the unallocated space. I then swapped the cloned drive with the existing Win10 drive internally. The system would not boot and reported a 0xc000000e error. I'm thinking that the BCD got changed from the original dual boot setup. Can anyone confirm that's the case and provide pointers if you have a known solution from your experience?

Reaction score
The only cloning I've done was with hardware only using an Eaxer dual-drive dock that cannot be connected to any computer at the time. It did a destination drive of the same size as the source and did a much larger destination drive that had unallocated space available for a new partition. It did not work to clone a larger drive to a smaller drive. It does a byte for byte copy but I've not had to use it for a dual-boot but it should work.

Reaction score
Hi Bighorn, thanks for your response. I was hoping for help to get my current cloned drive to boot in my environment. I'm nervous to try anything that can break my current dual boot setup.

Ask a Question