SOLVED Help Help Help!!! 2 authentication password required

Reaction score
The other day I noticed a requirement to give my password for my windows live id. I have no idea what it is and no record. I started the reset password similar to this forum. (By the way here it took me maybe 2 seconds. Thanks) I was able to get the 1st step but my second step requires a phone number in text and phone that I no longer have as I have changed it. Now I'm instructed to wait 30 days and I think I will get to reset similar to this web page. Now I notice that my whole computer is dependant on that password which I don't use to log in. This is day 3 and I am worried. What can I do and what functions and I unable to do. What happens after 30 days? Do I lose data? This has been going on for about 3 months as I chickened out and canceled the 30 day wait period. I now started it again an am at day 2 receiving warnings that unless I give the correct password I will have to wait to make changes for 30 days?

Reaction score
I assume you also have not printed out your Recovery code which would also give you access to your account so you are very limited in what you can do, the only thing you can do what you have done & wait up to 30 days to get access.
I assume after the waiting period they send you a temporary password in order to access your account where you're encouraged to change it - also update your phone number & add an alternative email address where recovery emails can be sent.

This what MS say:
If you don't have or can't get to your security info (your alternate phone number or email address), click I didn’t get a code when you’re prompted for a code at sign-in, or I don’t have access to these when you’re resetting your password, then follow the instructions.

You may be asked to fill out a security questionnaire. You’ll be asked for info like the subject lines of email you recently sent from your account, your birthdate, credit card info, and other details only you would know. You don't have to know every answer, and it's ok to be close if you don't know the exact answer. There may be a 30-day waiting period to get full access to your account. Go to Recover your Microsoft account for tips on how to successfully fill out the security questionnaire.

Reaction score
It might not take that long, the MS website states it can take up to 30 days.

Ask a Question