SOLVED Help in opening an image001.png

BML

Reaction score
I received an attachment with an Email marked “image001.png". I have not the faintest idea how to open it and would welcome some advice. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Double click it and it should open , by default, with the built in "pictures"

Reaction score
I received an attachment with an Email marked “image001.png". I have not the faintest idea how to open it and would welcome some advice. Many thanks.
Before you try and open it, right click it and scan it with your Antivirus app for that just in case scenario. ;)

Reaction score
If you don't know who the sender is, your best bet to be safe would be not to open it. You can right click on the link and check its "Properties" it will give you the path of the email and sender.

BML

Reaction score
It doesn't open with a double click by default with the built in "pictures."
I have scanned it with my antivirus.
It's supposed to be a PDF that was sent but when I click it to open none of the other applications available relate to PDFs and I don't know how to apply the Acrobat Reader I have to that list which should open a PDF. As it is I'm not sure that a png is meant to carry text.

Reaction score
I'm a tad confused. Is the attachment .png or pdf format. Have you check your default app settings.
Settings > Apps > Default Apps > at the bottom of page select "Choose default apps by file type"
My defaults for .png files is photos, .pdf files Edge.

BML

Reaction score
The attachments are png. I tried to follow your instructions to get to My defaults but failed so I will have another go in the morning. Many thanks.

Reaction score
What is your response to Norton's query? You mention "it is supposed to be PDF". So you are aware of the sender, but why your comment?
If you are sure it is safe, copy it to the desktop and rename the suffix, from "png" to PDF and then double click it. You apparently have Adobe, so it should open with Adobe or Edge.

Last edited:

BML

Reaction score
I am aware of the sender who is a well known Canadian academic. I copied one of the attachments to the desktop and it changed from, "image001.png" to "imageoo1" I renamed it to "PDF001" and it opened as a black page with a title in the top left hand corner, "Photos - pdf001.png". When I opened it showed what appeared to a load of my photgraphs.

Reaction score
Seems to be something personal that only you can sort?
Thread solved??

Reaction score
If you are sure it is safe, copy it to the desktop and rename the suffix, from "png" to PDF and then double click it. You apparently have Adobe, so it should open with Adobe or Edge.

renamed it to "PDF001" and it opened as a black page with a title in the top left hand corner, "Photos - pdf001.png".

Per davehc's post, rename image001.png to image001. pdf

BML

Reaction score
Right, all is well. I asked the sender to re-send in clear copy and he did. I regret never getting to understand what happened though but thanks for all the advice.

Ask a Question