HELP! "Incorrect Password" New Windows 10 Update

Reaction score
The link for the ISO doesn't work
upload_2016-7-30_23-18-0.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ahhh Yes.
That resource is temporarily unavailable.
They are transitioning now over to the Anniversary Update version.
No info as to when it might become available again.
You might give this one a try
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You can use the upgrade tool to obtain an ISO and or create bootable installation media.
As far as I know, that one is still up and running.

Reaction score
It's the password for the name that appears on your screen when you first boot up. The stupid thing is asking for your Microsoft account log in password.

-technology- "New and innovative ways to get headaches".....
-J. Nathan Fletcher-

Hi,

I just recently upgraded from 8.1 to 10 today, everything was working fine until I restarted my Laptop.
It kept coming up with "Incorrect Password" and asked me to reset it. So I reset my password and tried again, however it wouldn't work so I reset my password a couple more times and tried again yet it wouldn't work. I attempted logging in offline however that wouldn't work either. I looked around online for some help and found that "This is not me" helped others with their passwords, however on my laptop there is no such thing. Please help with this as I cant find anymore solutions for this.

Kind Regards

Reaction score
This happened to me with a clean Win10 install done 5 days ago. I am currently stuck, 100% sure that I am using the correct password (as I am using the same password for both Microsoft and local user), I also checked it using the eye. I will try to do the workaround with the installation media. It is unbelievable that Microsoft did not manage to do anythinf about it in 1.5 years..

Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently upgraded from 8.1 to 10 today, everything was working fine until I restarted my Laptop.
It kept coming up with "Incorrect Password" and asked me to reset it. So I reset my password and tried again, however it wouldn't work so I reset my password a couple more times and tried again yet it wouldn't work. I attempted logging in offline however that wouldn't work either. I looked around online for some help and found that "This is not me" helped others with their passwords, however on my laptop there is no such thing. Please help with this as I cant find anymore solutions for this.

Kind Regards
Hate to break it to you the newest 2016 update sticks and on invalid password and ruins your computer

Reaction score
Solved by pure dumb luck? - When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I had the same "Incorrect Password" whinge. But I noticed a text label towards the bottom left of the screen sayin "ENG". Hovering over it, revealed it to be a clickable button, which in turn revealed that the upgrade process had defaulted the keyboard to American English. For those of us who use strong passwords, some symbols are mapped to different keys, hence our US-centric cousins have laid a little land mine for us Brits. So try one of these options:
- Click on the ENG and set the language to British English
- or enter your password as per the US layout.

Hope this helps.
If I ever buy a star, I'll name it after you (although I'm not sure NUMPTY would be the star's choice). I had noticed the language said English American, and it niggled me,but I had so many other things to try, I forgot about it. Been trying for several hours, and starting to feel stressed about being hacked.
Switched to English UK, and it worked. Like you, I had adopted some special characters in my password, and it looks like it changed my keyboard layout.
Not happy about why it was changed, but not too surprised.

ANYONE READING THIS PAGE, ESPECIALLY FROM UK, OR USING A UK KEYBOARD, TRY THIS. AN UPGRADE PROBABLY SWITCHED YOUR KEYBOARD INPUT LANGUAGE TO US, AND AS YOU CAN'T SEE YOUR PASSWORD WHEN YOU TYPE IT, THE SPECIAL CHARACTER YOUR TYPING IS PROBABLY REMAPPED!

Reaction score
This is the most amazingly stupid, frustrating issue I've ever seen. I just did another Windows 10 upgrade - this time on the PC my kids use. Got the password issue.

Fortunately my kids have accounts without passwords. I went in as one of them and then accessed user accounts. I was about to access my account with the right password. That's right - it will give you access to account management, but not let you log in. I changed the password to one that meets Windows 10 standards. Didn't work. I added a new admin account using my Microsoft live account. Amazingly, that didn't work. It will not log me in using an account tied to my Live account.

I finally decided to remove my password from my windows account. That worked! So it seems like for now, Windows 10 isn't taking any password at the login screen. It recognizes the password once I'm in Windows, but won't use that PW to get me into Windows.

Going to flame the crap out of MS on this one.

Reaction score
Solved by pure dumb luck? - When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I had the same "Incorrect Password" whinge. But I noticed a text label towards the bottom left of the screen sayin "ENG". Hovering over it, revealed it to be a clickable button, which in turn revealed that the upgrade process had defaulted the keyboard to American English. For those of us who use strong passwords, some symbols are mapped to different keys, hence our US-centric cousins have laid a little land mine for us Brits. So try one of these options:
- Click on the ENG and set the language to British English
- or enter your password as per the US layout.

Hope this helps.
I have to let you know that you probably saved my sanity. All I did was restart my laptop, makes no sense whatsoever that the keyboard should change, but apparently that's what happened. thank you!! :D

Reaction score
I had same issue today. Since I could not get into my computer, I shut it down totally, then restarted it. Then my sign on worked. I use Windows 10 with an HP notebook

Reaction score
Hi,

Kind Regards
I have been on the phone all day trying to solve the same problem but no luck. If I reboot 5 to 10 times then it works. Like you I get the message "Incorrect Password". It's about time Windows 10 fixed the problem. The program is expensive enough without having to deal with this.

Reaction score
SOLVED - Repeat of my post Hempty, Jul 13, 2016

ALL NON-U.S. PEOPLE MAKE SURE YOU READ NUMPTY'S SOLUTION FIRST ON PAGE 1 BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING ELSE

Numpty said “Solved by pure dumb luck? - When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I had the same "Incorrect Password" whinge. But I noticed a text label towards the bottom left of the screen sayin "ENG". Hovering over it, revealed it to be a clickable button, which in turn revealed that the upgrade process had defaulted the keyboard to American English. For those of us who use strong passwords, some symbols are mapped to different keys, hence our US-centric cousins have laid a little land mine for us Brits. So try one of these options:
- Click on the ENG and set the language to British English [Hempty = or whatever your keyboard normally is]
- or enter your password as per the US layout.”

This should absolutely be the first question Microsoft Support should ask you if you contact them but I’m not sure they are doing this, “Have you upgraded to Windows 10 and are you using a non-US keyboard.”

Guys if this works for you then put a short “SOLVED” message on the forum and refer to “SEE NUMPTY’S SOLUTION ON PAGE 1” so that others can see its the first thing to try. And beware of those rogue “Windows” “Microsoft” support scammers. Be safe out there.

Reaction score
Hi,

It kept coming up with "Incorrect Password" and asked me to reset it. So I reset my password and tried again, however it wouldn't work so I reset my password a couple more times and tried again yet it wouldn't work. I attempted logging in offline however that wouldn't work either. I looked around online for some help and found that "This is not me" helped others with their passwords, however on my laptop there is no such thing. Please help me reset windows 10 password as I cant find anymore solutions for this.

Kind Regards
Very easy, works like on all the others.... use a Linux Live DVD.... navigate to c:\windows\system32.

Find the sethc.exe, and name it e.g. "sethc_old.exe". Copy the cmd.exe and rename it sethc.exe.

Start Windows back up, and click on the help button (or press shift about 5-6 times) and you get an admin cmd prompt. From there you can use regular commands such as net user to reset the password. Once done delete the sethc.exe and rename the _old one back. Done.

Reaction score
This happened to me with a clean Win10 install done 5 days ago. I am currently stuck, 100% sure that I am using the correct password (as I am using the same password for both Microsoft and local user), I also checked it using the eye. I will try to do the workaround with the installation media. It is unbelievable that Microsoft did not manage to do anythinf about it in 1.5 years..
I started having sign in issues almost as soon as I started using Windows 10 but the problem was only intermittent. A few days ago I could not sign in at all. I kept shutting down and rebooting. Eventually it allowed me in. It would not allow me to change my Password but I did set up a new user (me) with the same password and administrator access. Once I signed in using my new account it allowed me to change the password on my old account. I accessed my old account using this new password and it then allowed me to update it to my old password. Problem solved. I can now access my computer using the password I always had. And to think I had spent a whole day on the phone with a technician who was unable to fix anything and suggested I reinstall Windows!

Reaction score
Hi,

Kind Regards
I put a new battery in my laptop and was locked out by windows 10.
After agonising with new passwords that were provided by Microsoft that didn't work, I rebooted holding down the F10 button the entire time......and....I was in!

aki

Reaction score
Hi,

Kind Regards
u r either using not real software. microsoft does this wid either skype or windows

Reaction score
Hi,

Kind Regards
Hi - I just upgraded to 1803 on my laptop through administrator and I did not have a password, after the install it came back to my desk top telling me to enter my password and change it to a new one, well this was not going to work. So what I finally did was on the 2nd line where it asked me to enter the new password (NOTE I did not enter anything into any of the fields) all I did was hit the arrow button at least 3 times and it logged me in. It finished the set up and then I went in to settings and added a password! So far so good although I have not restarted the laptop. If I do not reply to this again then all went fine. 6-17-18

Ask a Question