HELP! "Incorrect Password" New Windows 10 Update

Reaction score
The only thing worse than a password bug (introduced when you finally give in to all the annoying requests to upgrade) is a password bug with a ton of possible solutions that you have to try. So... here's another one.

I tried everything in this thread and what finally did it for me was going back to my most previous password. Was using the new password for a couple months, but the upgrade somehow latched on to the previous one.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing cozmonaut and welcome to the forum.
Glad you figured that one out.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
I've had this twice now. Once on a PC already running W10 for while, then it decided it would not let me in until I rebooted, kept saying incorrect password. When I rebooted and entered the SAME password it tried to be nice, saying Hi, we are just applying some updates to your system. DONT lock me out of my password again just so you can apply some updates Microsoft. Then again just now, upgrading a W7 to W10, same thing. Password was 100% correct but would always respond - incorrect password. Rebooted and bingo, recognises SAME password and then gets all polite, Hi, We are just applying some upgrades. Unacceptable Microsoft, completely Unacceptable. Just tell me you want a reboot, do not tell me I have the wrong password when I don't. Spleen vented!!!

Reaction score
I am only just experiencing this problem this morning. I upgraded to Ver. 1511 almost a week ago. All was running smoothly, then booted up this morning to a calendar screen. When I click on this screen it goes to the password screen. I have never had a password on any Windows system in my life. So why is it asking for one now? I tried leaving password blank and clicking OK, but it persists in asking for a password. I can get no further so am shut out of my own computer. I cannot make much sense out of all the replies on this topic so far. If anyone has the solution for my particular case please post it here.

Reaction score
I have discovered that in some cases this problem results from the use of the Windows Feedback app which comes with Windows 10. The app sometimes changes the Windows account from a User account to a dedicated Microsoft account and gets stuck on this setting. I believe this may be because the app requires the user to log in but has no option to log out again. In my case when I closed the feedback app and rebooted the computer, I was suddenly confronted by a blue log-in screen which had never appeared before. It took me a long time to realize that the password it was looking for was my Microsoft account log in. This was odd considering that I am offline whenever I log into Windows! Also I have never had a password to log into Windows before, not EVER. So I found the sudden appearance of a log in screen very daunting and puzzling.

The solution to the problem is as follows:
1) Click on Windows icon, Settings, Accounts.
2) Click on Change to a user account instead.
3) Enter your Microsoft account password when requested. Click enter.
4) Leave the user account passwords blank when requested Click enter.
5) Reboot.
Your PC should now reboot to Windows without requesting a password.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have read all these comments, and applied some ofthe options but none of them have worked for me. I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y450 working with Windows 7 Basic. When I updated to Windows 10, i was unable to log in.
Could this happed because in Windows 7 you don't have an active Microsoft account running in the back (like in Windows 8)
Is there any way to associate an account to the user bypassing the password log in?

Thanks

Reaction score
Well considering that Microsoft are now actively deleting and censoring threads relating to this and other problems that users are reporting on their community forums, as well as deleting all negative comments about Windows 10 update and upgrade problems on those forums, I doubt if we can expect a solution to this or other problems any day soon. I personally think that Microsoft have gone into "panic mode and damage protection control" at present as they have been inundated with complaints that they are (more often than not) unable to resolve satisfactorily. Stay tuned! I suspect either a huge upgrade in Windows software soon, or complete silence. Either way, users experiencing problems with these early Windows 10 builds may not find any comfort or satisfaction any day soon.

Reaction score
I started having this problem more and more often over the past month. Simetimes rebooting eould fix it, sometimes not. What you should do is make another profile on your computer and give it Administrative access. This way (when) you have log in issues you have another account to get in with. You dont want to have just one profile. You can just leave the profile alone until you need it.

Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently upgraded from 8.1 to 10 today, everything was working fine until I restarted my Laptop.
It kept coming up with "Incorrect Password" and asked me to reset it. So I reset my password and tried again, however it wouldn't work so I reset my password a couple more times and tried again yet it wouldn't work. I attempted logging in offline however that wouldn't work either. I looked around online for some help and found that "This is not me" helped others with their passwords, however on my laptop there is no such thing. Please help with this as I cant find anymore solutions for this.

Kind Regards

Same thing happened to me when I upgraded my laptop from Windows 8.1 to 10. I can't get into my laptop and don't have backup of all my pictures from last 5 years, important documents, etc. I am so upset I am sick to my stomach. Now my laptop is useless and lost so many important documents! So unfair

Reaction score
Upgraded from 7 and now locked out of an account called "user" with password hint "user". No options to log on as anyone else (not that I have associated any other accounts with this computer yet). This is ridiculous. I have no idea what to do!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Upgraded from 7 and now locked out of an account called "user" with password hint "user". No options to log on as anyone else (not that I have associated any other accounts with this computer yet). This is ridiculous. I have no idea what to do!
have you tried typing in
user
OR
User
OR
USER
or just leaving it blank???

Reaction score
I think I got the trick . when you type the password click on the eye Icon on the right end of the password field , if you see wrong letters then you can try this ...
Use the asci Code numbers to enter the password and check it letter by letter by clicking the eye . the asci Code is typed by typing a number while keep pressing alt key .
For example you press alt key then type the number 72 then release alt key to get " H " . it will consume few minutes but it will work . then after logging in you need to remove English US Keyboard and use another english one

CCS

Reaction score
I have encountered this problem on four computers in recent weeks. Access has been restored by resetting the password via "sticky keys." You can find instructions here.

You will need a Windows 7 or 8 bootable dvd or USB as applicable. If you do not have either, you can download an .iso from Microsoft. You will need your Windows key to download it (usually on a sticker on your computer.) How To Geek gives instructions to create bootable media.

It's pretty simple if you follow the instructions and only takes about 20 minutes start to finish. Make the reset password something simple at the command prompt to avoid problems with special characters. Update the password to what you want it to be once back in Windows. I have successfully used both Windows 7 and 8 media to do this on systems which upgraded to 10 because you're basically using the media to access the files in the operating system which are in the same locations in the three versions of Windows.

Best of luck!

Reaction score
I had the same problem and was getting very frustrated. Then I noticed at the bottom of the login screen was a link that had the text "I am not <my username>". I clicked on it and up come the request to accept the user license and after that my login worked. Now everything is working properly. Definitely not intuitive. I hope this helps others.

CCS

Reaction score
Well, I've had another where the sticky keys fix did not work. In the end, I had to revert the upgrade to 8.1. Because the user had linked the Windows 8.1 login to a Microsoft account and in the process of trying to login to the 10 upgrade changed the online account password, the rolled-back OS had to be disconnected from the Internet so the last known password on the system would work. At that point, since the online storage provided by the link with the online account was not being used, the computer account was converted to a local account. Additionally, a secondary local admin account was added to the system to provide another means to login to the system in the event the primary account has login issues again.

Hopefully Microsoft will address this instead of remaining silent on what is evidently a common problem. Until then, best of luck everyone!

Rio

Reaction score
Just happened to me , easy fix I guess if u kno your original password b4 the upgrade , yes its go to say wrong pass but what I did was click the lil words below the password box that says "not you" then it will do further installs like cortana etc , it will eventually bring u back to your enter password page , your original password should work here

Reaction score
Okay for the Windows 10 Microsoft Live Account Login Window, check the Keyboard Layout.
It typed entirely wrong letters because there was a french Keyboard Layout selected. Doh!
Problem solved.

Reaction score
I think I got the trick . when you type the password click on the eye Icon on the right end of the password field , if you see wrong letters then you can try this ...
Use the asci Code numbers to enter the password and check it letter by letter by clicking the eye . the asci Code is typed by typing a number while keep pressing alt key .
For example you press alt key then type the number 72 then release alt key to get " H " . it will consume few minutes but it will work . then after logging in you need to remove English US Keyboard and use another english one

Totally work. Ok everyone as EswedJordan suggested select the eye ball and make sure the password was entered as typed. The user I helped also reset her Microsoft password. Another thing we did was hard wire her to her network.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Jason and welcome to the forum.
Glad to hear that you were able to help someone else with their problem.
Thanks for posting your findings

Ask a Question