HELP! "Incorrect Password" New Windows 10 Update

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
@axw ..... welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience.
It still seems to be something of a mystery, as to why it happens, what's causing it and how sometimes it seems to just resolve itself...... and sometimes not.

Reaction score
Solved by pure dumb luck? - When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I had the same "Incorrect Password" whinge. But I noticed a text label towards the bottom left of the screen sayin "ENG". Hovering over it, revealed it to be a clickable button, which in turn revealed that the upgrade process had defaulted the keyboard to American English. For those of us who use strong passwords, some symbols are mapped to different keys, hence our US-centric cousins have laid a little land mine for us Brits. So try one of these options:
- Click on the ENG and set the language to British English
- or enter your password as per the US layout.

Hope this helps.
hi,
this did not work for me but I have the same issue with keyboards so it got me thinking- I am using a new laptop at the same time as I am installing win 10 and found that the num lock does not come on with the new laptop as it did with the old, so I had unwittingly put in a different password to my usual one, by using number keys that were not responding- might help some one else?

Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently upgraded from 8.1 to 10 today, everything was working fine until I restarted my Laptop.
It kept coming up with "Incorrect Password" and asked me to reset it. So I reset my password and tried again, however it wouldn't work so I reset my password a couple more times and tried again yet it wouldn't work. I attempted logging in offline however that wouldn't work either. I looked around online for some help and found that "This is not me" helped others with their passwords, however on my laptop there is no such thing. Please help with this as I cant find anymore solutions for this.

Kind Regards
I read this with interest because I also have a similar problem.

Can I ask you if you only had the one account.?
It is possible that your *.pwl file has been corrupted if this is so then it is also possible that you have lost Admin rights in which case it is a matter for Microsoft to get off their butts and come up with a fix as it is fast becoming a problem. without Admin rights there is nothing you can do apart from Format and start all over again, provided of course that you have the discs. I have backup but cannot use it because no Admin rights.

Reaction score
OK, so I installed Windows 10 and then couldn't log back in with my usual password. Cue panic, swearing and trying all the suggestions on here but to no avail. I'm not exactly a computer genius but still, I sorted mine and I'm now in .... this is what I did.
When you have the password screen hit the 'I'm not ..... (whatever your name is). On the right hand side there should be a box that says something like 'express settings' ..... hit that. I then expected something to do with it not recognising me and changing passwords as I'd just told it I wasn't actually the person whose login i was on but it basically ignored that and carried on. it then put up a series of messages saying it was tweaking a few things and finalising the install and hey presto ..... I'm in! The irony is it then brought up a password screen again and when I typed in my usual password it accepted it. :)

Reaction score
Sorry , I had to think , I have been working with MICROSOFT FOR 14 years & a Patner for more then 2 years. I was reading most of forms here . First I can see most of you updated from Win 7 . On this issues , please let the on what computer you are using , & also I saw most were Laptops . One of you got most of it right , there is BIOS BATTERY in the bottom & you should be able to get too. It also needs to be pulled + make SURE YOU have the BIOUS UP DATED BE FOR . After that the computers have to get BIOS update & make sure it has , most will let newer computers should. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF HAVE A PROBLEM. Any that are INTELL + INTELL Acceletrator cards , 4500M are a problem. Microsoft put a file out in 7/24/2015 , once it gets in , it should fix some of you problems . Main is getting the BIOUS, YOU will have to go the web site, PLEASE DO NOT DOWN LOAD ANY OTHER FILES, you may have to down load a tool to the new BIOUS, that is all right . MICROSOFT WILL get any other files for your computers , sorry this is long . I have laptop & had these type of Isusses , + help from Level 2 & helped fix the download, that is why MICROSOFT push back release for a month . Be glad you have it , there are other people on form to help also.Thank You ,Donald Emery.

Reaction score
This incorrect password issue just happened to me on my Surface Pro 3 running W10 pro upgraded from W8.1. After several failed attempts, on the logon screen I clicked "log in as other user" and then logged in as the same user with the same correct password. That worked. Strange thing is that there is no other user on this machine, only the single me myself using an MS account (not local).

So, if you haven't already, try to switch to the same user and login. That might work.

Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently upgraded from 8.1 to 10 today, everything was working fine until I restarted my Laptop.
It kept coming up with "Incorrect Password" and asked me to reset it. So I reset my password and tried again, however it wouldn't work so I reset my password a couple more times and tried again yet it wouldn't work. I attempted logging in offline however that wouldn't work either. I looked around online for some help and found that "This is not me" helped others with their passwords, however on my laptop there is no such thing. Please help with this as I cant find anymore solutions for this.

Kind Regards
I've had the same exact problem. But, I was messing with the my cortana features recently. I'm in the U.S. and wanted to have a British accented cortana voice and in doing so my keyboard changed to the U.K. version. So when I was at the login screen after restarting my computer, I looked at the bottom right of the screen and there was the ENG button. I clicked on that and changed it from the UK ENG to the US ENG. After that, everything worked fine. :)

Reaction score
Hi I am having same problem, I updated to windows 10 a month ago had loads of problems like no access to my files that sorted then had driver power state failure keep popping up so yesterday went on line to try n sort out problem with verifier it looks like computer is stuck in a loop . Have managed to delete verifier files but I still can't get into computer with original password or even into safe mode and can't even system restore as it's asking for my password but when I put it in. I get password is incorrect . I'm the administrator with one password on computer . Any ideas please. Thanks in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello George and welcome to the forum.
Have you attempted to use the On Screen Keyboard in your attempts to log on as well as using the small "eye" feature to confirm that your password is being entered exactly as you have typed it?

Reaction score
Hello George and welcome to the forum.
Have you attempted to use the On Screen Keyboard in your attempts to log on as well as using the small "eye" feature to confirm that your password is being entered exactly as you have typed it?
Sorry I'm not able to get on screen keyboard up

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have another account on the PC?
Do you see any link on the login screen which might reference "Sign in options"
Are you attempting to use a local account or an Microsoft Live ID?
Do you have any language packs installed that might be impacting your keyboard layout?
Any links on the SignIn screen to something like "I'm not" or "Not me"

Reaction score
Do you have another account on the PC?
Do you see any link on the login screen which might reference "Sign in options"
Are you attempting to use a local account or an Microsoft Live ID?
Do you have any language packs installed that might be impacting your keyboard layout?
Any links on the SignIn screen to something like "I'm not" or "Not me"
Computer is now saying BOOTMRG IS MISSING.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Computer is now saying BOOTMRG IS MISSING.
That is usually an indication of an issue with your hard disk. Either a physical problem or a data corruption problem or a problem with the settings in your BIOS that references your boot device priority.
IF you've made any physical changes with the drive please double check your cabling and confirm that it is firmly attached.
IF you've made any changes to the System Setup Utility (BIOS) please revert them to their previous settings.

Reaction score
That is usually an indication of an issue with your hard disk. Either a physical problem or a data corruption problem or a problem with the settings in your BIOS that references your boot device priority.
IF you've made any physical changes with the drive please double check your cabling and confirm that it is firmly attached.
IF you've made any changes to the System Setup Utility (BIOS) please revert them to their previous settings.
Have not made any changes system was running perfect until I upgraded to windows 10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may just be a victim of circumstance and your hard disk may have taken this opportunity to decide it was not up to the task.
You need to access your system BIOS and determine first if the Hard Drive is seen and identified properly by the BIOS.
If it is then perhaps you can boot from the installation media and on the second page use the repair your PC link and the advanced troubleshooting options to perform a Startup Repair.

The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

Reaction score
OK, so I installed Windows 10 and then couldn't log back in with my usual password. Cue panic, swearing and trying all the suggestions on here but to no avail. I'm not exactly a computer genius but still, I sorted mine and I'm now in .... this is what I did.
When you have the password screen hit the 'I'm not ..... (whatever your name is). On the right hand side there should be a box that says something like 'express settings' ..... hit that. I then expected something to do with it not recognising me and changing passwords as I'd just told it I wasn't actually the person whose login i was on but it basically ignored that and carried on. it then put up a series of messages saying it was tweaking a few things and finalising the install and hey presto ..... I'm in! The irony is it then brought up a password screen again and when I typed in my usual password it accepted it. :)

This is how it worked in my case. Thank you! I thought I'm screwed, but fortunately I came across your post.

Reaction score
Alflex - incorrect password issue

I have had similar problems to you - however not on a laptop but a PC.

It has taken a long time to discover that when I close my PC the NUM LOCK on my keyboard is deactivated. This happens every time. My passowrd is a strong one containing all the usual stuff plus numbers. So in my case what happened whilst it looked like all of the characters were input to the password numbers were missing. Hence failure to log in. In my case I have checked that the drivers for my wireless keyboard are the latest and they were - in Device Manager I see three further keyboard devices associated with MS and I checked them also - they were all up to date also.

So in my case there are definitely issues with the keyboard NUM LOCK and its interaction with Windows 10 but of course I can still log in each time by resetting the NUM LOCK.

I hope that this might be of some help or give some clues?

Ask a Question