HELP! "Incorrect Password" New Windows 10 Update

Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently upgraded from 8.1 to 10 today, everything was working fine until I restarted my Laptop.
It kept coming up with "Incorrect Password" and asked me to reset it. So I reset my password and tried again, however it wouldn't work so I reset my password a couple more times and tried again yet it wouldn't work. I attempted logging in offline however that wouldn't work either. I looked around online for some help and found that "This is not me" helped others with their passwords, however on my laptop there is no such thing. Please help with this as I cant find anymore solutions for this.

Kind Regards

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
So I reset my password and tried again, however it wouldn't work so I reset my password a couple more times and tried again yet it wouldn't work.
Wow.... that sounds terrible.
So you can not get into your upgraded Windows 10 Computer at all?
First.... have you tried a blank password. In other words leaving the field blank and just hitting enter.
Are you using a MS Account? Changing the password locally will not help, check here and confirm that your MS Account is healthy and all is well.
https://login.live.com
If it's a laptop.
Unplug it, remove the battery, hold the power button down for 32 seconds.
Put the battery back in, plug it back in and start the computer again. Some people have reported that, that has helped them.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Wow.... that sounds terrible.
So you can not get into your upgraded Windows 10 Computer at all?
First.... have you tried a blank password. In other words leaving the field blank and just hitting enter.
Are you using a MS Account? Changing the password locally will not help, check here and confirm that your MS Account is healthy and all is well.
https://login.live.com
If it's a laptop.
Unplug it, remove the battery, hold the power button down for 32 seconds.
Put the battery back in, plug it back in and start the computer again. Some people have reported that, that has helped them.

Yes, I cannot get in at all. I have already tried a blank password, which didn't work. I am currently using a MS account and it isn't local its online, I can log in to my email absolutely fine, its just my laptop that wont respond, I will try resetting my laptop as told above and get back to you.

Kind Regards

Reaction score
Yes, I cannot get in at all. I have already tried a blank password, which didn't work. I am currently using a MS account and it isn't local its online, I can log in to my email absolutely fine, its just my laptop that wont respond, I will try resetting my laptop as told above and get back to you.

Kind Regards

I have attempted it but it has failed to do anything, any other options available for this matter?

Kind Regards

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
I have EXACTLY the same problem!
It is making me sick because I can't enter my laptop and there were some files which I didn't yet made backup for. ( thesis materials)
I know this looks like a long post but u really should read this, its very entertaining... informative..

PART ONE

I have gone through several microsoft " techs"

nr. 1online : This, I cannot help you with u need to call this number..
nr. 2. : (English voice because the operators of my country were busy):

she : Ah mind the capslock!
me: euhm yes I tried that before calling microsoft techs..
she: oh ok euhm wait a second (mumbles)...
she: try the on screen keyboard , your laptop might be on other keyboard mode..
me: ok ( trying) : noppe this is not working!
she: this must be a synchronization issue!
me: ah ok so what can I do?
she: I dont know, I will give u the link to a specialized tech.
me: oh ok thx

nr3. " The specialized tech"

me : explain problem
he : so u tried capslock and on screen keyboard?
me: yes...
he: don't worry mister I know whats wrong , u use wifi right?
me: yes...
he: well now I know for sure I can solve the problem: turn of your laptop, connect it to wire internet and turn it back on, the password will now be synchronized!
me : euh ok wait a second ( we dont use cables anymore, had to find an cable and plug it in a box somewhere in basement)

=> still doenst work!
he: wow ooh this is not good, I can see in our files that this issue is rising more and more, however, all the things u did : screen keyboard, wire internet.. it worked for them but not for you.
me: so what can I do now? I'm afraid I can't answer this, we will be working on this issue and let u know ( i asked for letting me know) when it is solved.
me: well this is shit, I can't acces my own laptop because some bug from microsoft that wants to control my log in????
he: Yes I understand, u can try and repair your laptop but data might be lost.. GL

the day after : I tried repair but didn't worked , I used some cmd's in cmd prompt which I found on the internet from people with sortlike problems: didn't work.

this was 2 days ago, I took a break from it yesterday I was fed up.

PART TWO

TODAY ( this is really bad karma or smth I have received)

My cellphone rings ( microsoft has my number to identify): This is microsoft tech. ( not fluent english and lot of noise)

me: oh hello
she: hello sir , we are a company affiliated with Microsoft, You might have laptop problems, your pc is hacked.
me: well yes I have problems.
she: I know , turn ur pc on

=> At this moment I putted my laptop on and it was updating, which didn't happened before since windows 10 installation.

she: ok, now go to google.
me: Euh sorry but if u now the problem.. I can't log in! ( I explain myself but she is really getting it)
she: ok I give my supervisor...male voice suddenly
he: hello! can u access google other way?
me: yes with the laptop of my mother ( this one)
he: ok go on...

=> it resulted it proving he was real microsoft, gaining laptop control... all until he asked for 11 euros to fix the problem and asking to pay with maestro or visa....

At this moment I know I was being scammed so I hold him on the line until I got rid of the teamviewer software he let me installing to gain access to my laptop.

=> I broke up phone, he tried calling me once more.. Normally I would never trust a called from " microsoft", but the combination with my real problem and the fact he called 2 days after mislead me, it was a awkward coincidence? He also used my laptop problem against me : U see? your one laptop is already broken and now they are hacking your other laptops...

" the coincidence issue" : I think this might not be 100 percent coincidence: scammers know microsoft 10 is having difficulty's...

PART 3

After the scam, I was really anxious, so I decided to call microsoft again, this time one who speaks my language, dutch. ( I am from Belgium)

=> the microsoft callcenter is very busy, we call u back in 52 minutes.

After 52 minutes an auto message machine calls me to inform I need to stay on the line and wait 2 more minutes.

( after 5 minutes a female dutch speaking voice)

she: Hello sir ( she was from the Netherlands I heard from her dutch intonation)
me: hi
she: whats the problem?
me: Okay please listen to this story: I explain here quickly the issues I wrote in part one and part two above.
she: Ok, I also have no solution for your windows ten problem, u can call a number from HP and ask them to send the 8.(1) software, however u will lose all your files. before I give u the number, about the scam, if you want to make sure that there is no malware installed I have a promotion for u! If u pay 49 cents a day ( LOL) you can use microsoft service people and or software for one year, they will sweep your laptop and check for malware..
But be aware they cannot fix your W10 login error.

me: If they could fix my W10 error and they would charge me for it, this would be the world upside down..
she: YES I know, but keep in mind : the scam issue is neither our neither your fault so its a payable service...

me: Ok lady I will check your offer online, but I have to go now pls give me the hp number.
she: ok here it is ... thank you!!!

Now I got the hp number , but I searched online on hp site and the software I will have to order is via a third party and they charge 45 euro ...

I have not called nor ordered anything, still looking on forums..

Ok pfew I had to get rid of this story, I'll have my coffee now..

( still hoping for a hero that comes with the solution)

Gert Janssens
Belgium

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
there were some files which I didn't yet made backup for. ( thesis materials)
No solution, but.....
To finish backing up your critical data I would suggest using a Linux Distro (Live CD) to boot and run your computer, browse to an access your data and off load it to an external source (USB Drive) of some type.

Personally I prefer Mint MATE http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=191
But if you like, there are plenty of links to other distros like Ubuntu which is very popular. Just Google.

Don't install it, just run it from the DVD to backup your stuff.

Reaction score
But how can I use it if
No solution, but.....
To finish backing up your critical data I would suggest using a Linux Distro (Live CD) to boot and run your computer, browse to an access your data and off load it to an external source (USB Drive) of some type.

Personally I prefer Mint MATE http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=191
But if you like, there are plenty of links to other distros like Ubuntu which is very popular. Just Google.

Don't install it, just run it from the DVD to backup your stuff.

Thx for the answer but, how can I use it if cant go to that link on the laptop with the problem.. it is stuck on login screen, but maybe you just meant it for use in general? thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good question.
My suggestion, presupposed that you would have access to another machine, on which to create the bootable DVD, which then you could use to boot the one you are having trouble with and then backup your critical data.

Reaction score
thx for the support, I'm doing it bit different now : downloading with other pc : windows 8 iso and windows usb startup tool, hope I can repair without loss of data...

Reaction score
Okay quick update: I downloaded the windows 8 iso file and burned it on a dvd by using " microsoft bootable disc software"
Then I started my laptop putted disc in , hold power button on and of and changed the boot order by pressing f8 or f9. Then I selected start up with disc.

I could chose to install but on the left down side there was a repair option. I have tried it but that gave no solution, the laptop looped back to windows 10 mode.

So I repeated first steps and pressed install instead.

Then again two options: normal set up or advanced setup. I chose normal, but again windows 10 inflicted some error, giving me a warning to switch off pc and restart.

So at last I pressed the advanced install which led to 3 warning signals about wrong order of disc data. I ignored all this and the laptop began installing.

In the end he was repairing my c drive and when I finally got access to the laptop and customized it, I went looking for my important files and they all were there in c:// windows.001

I copied all the files so I feel proud I achieved this as " noob in tech world"

But then I noticed I had a really shit version of the 8 ( very first one) and It was not validated, only for 90 days.

So I went to the properties of the computer and clicked on : license code.

The license code was the one from the iso, only 90 days valid, but I could enter my previous one. I wanted to do that but I was in italy while my parents bought me the laptop and they told me no license code was give on "paper".

Yes.. this is the case, it seems that lately licences are being stored in the bios memory.
So the licence is only capapble of being associated with one laptop.

So I went back online and downloaded a program called belarc.
It founded my license in the bios memory so I entered that code in the windows license box , replacing the code from the iso version.

this did not work... I will try to solve that tomorrow, but I think I made one error by downloading a windows 8 iso, which was very old. I should try to update to 8.1 tomorrow or download the 8.1 iso file and install again..

If then, the code doesnt work, its up to microsoft to handle the rest.. I did more then my part.

Greetings and thanks for the help

Reaction score
Yes, this issue is reported by many users. Generally, updating from old Windows versions to Windows 10 will not change the password. but the fact is that the new OS will not accept the old password. what should you do in this situation? OF course, reset or bypass the Windows 10 password is the best choice.

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me too just now,
at first i was unable to create a local account since it was saying your password was incorrect i tried numerous times but no use then i finally restarted my PC and encountered the same issue as you which is unable to logic as it was saying the password was incorrect so this is what is did to fix it
1. remain on the login screen
2. go to your microsoft hotmail account and login, then change your password from there(u may use some other computer or from your mobile, i use mobile since it uses authentication app which is easy to use)
3. i entered the new password on the login screen and woila it worked!! and i was also able to create a new Local account

if your issue is the same then i hope it works for you too...

Reaction score
Hey

I have the same problem.. I cannot acces my laptop anymore in any way it seems.

I am also very displeased with microsoft support, as there is nowhere an e-mail adress to be found and call centers are usually for, and I say this with respect, people who are faced with more basic problems (have you tried turning it off and on).

If anyone has a solution for this problem please let me know,

Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently upgraded from 8.1 to 10 today, everything was working fine until I restarted my Laptop.
It kept coming up with "Incorrect Password" and asked me to reset it. So I reset my password and tried again, however it wouldn't work so I reset my password a couple more times and tried again yet it wouldn't work. I attempted logging in offline however that wouldn't work either. I looked around online for some help and found that "This is not me" helped others with their passwords, however on my laptop there is no such thing. Please help with this as I cant find anymore solutions for this.

Kind Regards
Solved by pure dumb luck? - When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I had the same "Incorrect Password" whinge. But I noticed a text label towards the bottom left of the screen sayin "ENG". Hovering over it, revealed it to be a clickable button, which in turn revealed that the upgrade process had defaulted the keyboard to American English. For those of us who use strong passwords, some symbols are mapped to different keys, hence our US-centric cousins have laid a little land mine for us Brits. So try one of these options:
- Click on the ENG and set the language to British English
- or enter your password as per the US layout.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi,

Kind Regards
I am having the same exact problem. To log on to my computer, I boot up 2 times. It always works the 2nd booting.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my laptop. I've tried every password I've ever used on it with no luck. When I use the correct password, it will occasionally flash the "welcome" message, but quickly reverts to the "incorrect password" message. Tried changing my MS password on another computer and then tried to log in, but still no success. It won't boot to safe mode, and it won't let me into the BIOS screen. I have a feeling that this is one of those issues that is going to end up with a class action suit against Microsoft before they'll do anything about it. It's becoming clear that Win10 wasn't ready for release.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am having the same exact problem. To log on to my computer, I boot up 2 times. It always works the 2nd booting.
That is sort of an interesting twist on this ongoing problem.
Could you tell us, are you using a local user account (generic admin group) or are you using a Microsoft ID account?

axw

Reaction score
I had this problem this morning. I got a message that said to go to https://account.live.com/password to change my password. When I did, it said I couldn't change it to one of my previous passwords (it wasn't). However, I went back to my laptop and keyed in the password it had just rejected and it let me in. Don't know if this will work for anybody else, but thought I should put this info out here just in case.

Ask a Question