HELP! "Incorrect Password" New Windows 10 Update

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I had this exact problem and thought my life had just ended then an there. Nevertheless, I think I've found a solution. On the logo screen click the main button and then look at your settings. Click next on all the option screens and the your laptop should take you to a different windows 10 log on page. Enter your usual password and you computer should start up as normal. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
There could be many reasons for this issue. For example, if you have enabled the NumLock feature or the keyboard layout input for Windows login screen was changed to another language, just type your password at the keyboard as usual and you'll get something that is not your desired password. After typing your password, click on the small eye icon in the password box to verify your typed password. If you are still unable to login, you can reset Windows 10 password offline from a boot media. Good luck!

Reaction score
Solved by pure dumb luck? - When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I had the same "Incorrect Password" whinge. But I noticed a text label towards the bottom left of the screen sayin "ENG". Hovering over it, revealed it to be a clickable button, which in turn revealed that the upgrade process had defaulted the keyboard to American English. For those of us who use strong passwords, some symbols are mapped to different keys, hence our US-centric cousins have laid a little land mine for us Brits. So try one of these options:
- Click on the ENG and set the language to British English
- or enter your password as per the US layout.

Hope this helps.

I used the onscreen keyboard and clicked in my password, using the mouse, and it worked like a charm. Almost made me format the damn thing. Good thing I read this and gave me the correct idea.

Ole

Reaction score
Had the issue upgrading from 8 to 10.

Saw the note about keyboard - changed the keyboard settings and worked fine.

Microsoft - please restore the keyboard settings to the original one when upgrading!
OR - remove the need for PW settings as a default!

Reaction score
hi,

I have the same problem that most people are facing here.I upgraded to windows 10.Two days ago I restart my laptop and when trying to login it was impossible I changed my microsoft password five times but still unable.I found in some forums how to go to the recovery mode from windows 10 but in all the options it asks me for the administrator password and it does not work.at this point I am thinking to reinstall windows 10 but does anyone know how to do it from a usb when you cant login to your account?I mean,how to start the installation? Another option I am thinking on is to use that reset password program...

thanks if anyone can help me with this. Its a very annoying issue!

Reaction score
Solved by pure dumb luck? - When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I had the same "Incorrect Password" whinge. But I noticed a text label towards the bottom left of the screen sayin "ENG". Hovering over it, revealed it to be a clickable button, which in turn revealed that the upgrade process had defaulted the keyboard to American English. For those of us who use strong passwords, some symbols are mapped to different keys, hence our US-centric cousins have laid a little land mine for us Brits. So try one of these options:
- Click on the ENG and set the language to British English
- or enter your password as per the US layout.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for posting what worked - this fixed the issue for me too. Thanks again.

Reaction score
I am having the same exact problem. To log on to my computer, I boot up 2 times. It always works the 2nd booting.

Thanks so much! This resolved my issue. A soft restart did not work, but holding down the power button for a few seconds and manually restarting did the trick.

Reaction score
My password was in the same format as this teSt123, it would not except it until i lost the CAPS! so basically it changed my password...SOLVED.

Reaction score
I have had this same issue crop up. No warning just one day my password doesn't work. Oddly, my password on the pc was never the same as my Ms account, the hotmail I have it linked with, so when it told me to reset via the live account reset link I was a bit dubious.

Nevertheless I gave that a try, amended my password and still nothing. Called ms helpdesk who helpfully advised that I leave it connected to the internet and wait. 24 hours. So I wait about 36 before calling again. They couldn't help but offered to let me buy an upgraded care subscription, then he would escalate it. I refuse to pay to get what can only be a glitch in windows ten resolved for me.

So are there any ideas? Nothing in this thread seemed to work for me, I can't select "this isn't me" and rebooting doesn't magic it away. I'm at the point where I would just reinstall the OS but I of course have no disc for windows 10 and have lost my serial for 7, which I upgraded from months ago.

Reaction score
Did you take Edward56's advise above "After typing your password, click on the small eye icon in the password box to verify your typed password"?

Reaction score
If you have the OS media disk, boot with that and try a restore operation or reset.

Reaction score
Since windows 10 updated itself via download I don't have one that can help. I could reinstall 7 then upgrade back to 10 but that is a last resort. Also I don't know where my serial for 7 is.

Reaction score
You should be able to retrieve the "serial" for 7. Speccy is a free utility which lists everything imaginable in your pc including the "serial". It even has CPU core temps. I love it. Here is a link;

https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Of course the Win7 "serial" is not there now but would be if you reinstall Win7. And you do not have to fully update Win7 prior to upgrading either. You can install the upgrade tool from Microsoft and upgrade that way.

O, I guess you can not load Win 7 without the "serial" so that option is out still I think there should be a way to retrieve the "serial".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well luckily I found a way to add another admin account to my windows 10 install and logged into that. Still don't have all my programs and saved passwords etc but at least I can use the computer and access my files. Hopefully my main account will unlock someday.

Reaction score
I've been having the same issue with my mothers laptop. I think I have traced the problem to updates. She doesn't usually turn her system off so updates don't install all the time. When it is turned off and updates, the problem occurs. Can anyone verify this?

Ask a Question