HELP! "Incorrect Password" New Windows 10 Update

Reaction score
Totally work. Ok everyone as EswedJordan suggested select the eye ball and make sure the password was entered as typed. The user I helped also reset her Microsoft password. Another thing we did was hard wire her to her network.
BTW the password numbers she said what was missing

Reaction score
I solved this problem by following Option 4 steps on this site:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...ount-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html#option4

First, you have to get the registry editor up and running:
To get the command prompt open, from the sign in screen, hold shift and click on restart, then go to advanced options and select command prompt. When the computer restarts, sign in to the administrator account without a password (or whatever password you explicitly set in the past). After that, type regedit.exe, then follow the steps on the site I linked.

After you get the administrator account enabled, you can restart and sign in to that, then sort out your account problems however you need to (e.g. create another account, change password, disable microsoft account, etc). My problem was that I accidentally disabled my local account, so I just had to re-enable that.

Hope this works for you.

Reaction score
There could be many reasons for this issue. For example, if you have enabled the NumLock feature or the keyboard layout input for Windows login screen was changed to another language, just type your password at the keyboard as usual and you'll get something that is not your desired password. After typing your password, click on the small eye icon in the password box to verify your typed password. If you are still unable to login, you can reset Windows 10 password offline from a boot media. Good luck!

when you switch on computer, keep pressing F8 & choose option Safe mode,
Then log on to any account you can access .
after that, right click on my computer

click on Manage

Choose Local users & groups

choose users, then right click on the name of user of whom you wanna change password.
click on set password
note that you will loose all data in my documents ! of whom you reset password

type new password click on OK

That's it.

If administrator & all accounts are locked, then you will need a password reset disk,

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sure just right click the start button and choose Control Panel from the context menu.
Go to the top right corner of the Control Panel window searchbox and type in
password reset disk
That should provide you with a link that says "Create a password reset disk"
Click it and you should be greeted with this

Capture.JPG

I'll admit to never having used it, but it looks like it's still available.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I found that one reason it does this (at least when it occoured to me *ignore my horrible spelling using a broken phone to post is not fun* was that the internet connection for some reason wont connect. At all. So what i did was turn of the laptop and hold the power button for around 40 seconds or so then turn it back on and connect to a new wifi not used before on the device. Then the password was accepted again :) i hope this helps

Reaction score
Same problem. Absolutely infuriating. I cant believe this. I want a refund for my purchase. Seeking this now.

Reaction score
Same problem. Absolutely infuriating. I cant believe this. I want a refund for my purchase. Seeking this now.
Wow! It used my email password instead of my computers password!! Asinine! What bs! The time it had me waste has cost me money and soured a business relationships. I would sue if i had a case!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
We seem to see a pretty good number of people with password problems on this forum.
I wonder how many of them, just don't realize that the same thing is happening to them.
The account has been switched to an MS Account requiring that you enter the password for that instead of the local computer account with that password.
AND
I wonder who's bright idea it was to use your email account and password to log on locally in the first place.
That almost certainly represents some type of security issue, especially since you can use it across multiple device.
I remember working for a company on a contract job that ran some type of Net Nanny software, which included a keylogger component.
Probably a good idea not to log on to your live.com at work

Reaction score
There could be many reasons for this issue. For example, if you have enabled the NumLock feature or the keyboard layout input for Windows login screen was changed to another language, just type your password at the keyboard as usual and you'll get something that is not your desired password. After typing your password, click on the small eye icon in the password box to verify your typed password. If you are still unable to login, you can reset Windows 10 password offline from a boot media. Good luck!

The suggestions helped! I clicked the eye icon and the shown password is not what I typed. Eventually I got to know the keyboard layout was changed after upgrade, and this caused my login issue. Thank you!

Reaction score

The most secure way is to use password reset disk. You won't lost any data on the computer. so it is much better than a system reinstall. P.S. If you signed in with Microsoft account, then you can reset the account password first and use the new password for login.

Reaction score
Yes, this issue is reported by many users. Generally, updating from old Windows versions to Windows 10 will not change the password. but the fact is that the new OS will not accept the old password. what should you do in this situation? OF course, reset or bypass the Windows 10 password is the best choice.
This fixed the problem for me! There was a "catch". The "free" Windows Password Recovery Tool was NOT-free. However, I did not have a password setup originally in my Windows7 system, so I only used this NOT-free tool to identify the correct spelling of my User Name accounts in the forced-upon-me Windows10 system. I spelled Administrator correctly (not Admin), and left the password field blank, and Perfecto! It worked!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!
20160710_065107.jpg

20160710_072736.jpg

Reaction score
Solved by pure dumb luck? - When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I had the same "Incorrect Password" whinge. But I noticed a text label towards the bottom left of the screen sayin "ENG". Hovering over it, revealed it to be a clickable button, which in turn revealed that the upgrade process had defaulted the keyboard to American English. For those of us who use strong passwords, some symbols are mapped to different keys, hence our US-centric cousins have laid a little land mine for us Brits. So try one of these options:
- Click on the ENG and set the language to British English
- or enter your password as per the US layout.

Hope this helps.
numpty you are a gem. You're not dumb either, hovering over the ENG lable was inspired and is the answer. Your solution worked for me. Thank you. I'm so surprised (no I'm not) that Microsoft have set such a barrier for non-U.S. users without making the solution obvious there on the post-upgrade "Welcome to Windows 10" screen

Reaction score
ALL NON-U.S. PEOPLE MAKE SURE YOU READ NUMPTY'S SOLUTION FIRST ON PAGE 1 BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING ELSE

Reaction score
My fix (finally worked!!!argh!!...)

If you ever connected your MSN/Hotmail account to an Xbox account then there's a chance Microsoft trimmed your extra fancy password down to 16 characters to meet the Xbox's limitations. Somehow my old 16 character password got applied to my new Win10 account so when I entered my extra long password it failed.

TL;DR
If you have a long password try putting in just the first 16 characters.

Happy I remembered this relic from my gaming days... Jesus Microsoft.

Reaction score
I have 6 pc's all running windows 10. Today one of my towers went to screen lock and when i typed my password i got the password incorrect message. I checked my other pc's and my mobile devices and they all worked fine. I went online and reset my password. Same problem and when I held the shift button and clicked restart to try a restore point it accepts my password. I tried to log in normally and it said incorrect again. I purchased the password recovery tool and it won't boot from the media it creates. I went into recovery, it accepted my password for that again and tried resetting windows. Big mistake, now it says password incorrect and I can't access recovery again because the option is no longer there. Does anyone have any ideas? I'v accepted that I'll lose everything from the time I upgraded to 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Ed and welcome to the forum.
I'll assume if you're posting here, that you've at least read through this thread and hopefully some of the others.
You might be able to rescue your computer by enabling the normally hidden / disabled Administrator account and use that to possibly fix the password problem on your local user account.
You'll need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
THEN...
Follow the steps outlined here
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/

It's a pain, but it works, I know, I've done it.
Once you've enabled the hidden administrator account you should be able to at least backup any critical data and hopefully resolve the other account password issues.
IF nothing else by creating a new user account and then copying the contents of your profile folders from the old account to the new.

Reaction score
Hello Ed and welcome to the forum.
I'll assume if you're posting here, that you've at least read through this thread and hopefully some of the others.
You might be able to rescue your computer by enabling the normally hidden / disabled Administrator account and use that to possibly fix the password problem on your local user account.
You'll need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
THEN...
Follow the steps outlined here
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/

It's a pain, but it works, I know, I've done it.
Once you've enabled the hidden administrator account you should be able to at least backup any critical data and hopefully resolve the other account password issues.
IF nothing else by creating a new user account and then copying the contents of your profile folders from the old account to the new.

I tried previously to access the hidden admin account using the same steps you provided, must have remained hidden. I hadn't forgotten my password and it wasn't a local. I'm a fool and was using my microsoft account. I reset my password online and it works everywhere but the login for that pc. At that time I was still able to use the power icon on the bottom of my screen and the password worked for other functions. I used the reset windows and keep my files from recovery and no longer have the power icon so I can't get the c prompt and it still says password incorrect. I am stumped at this point because windows won't let me do anything at all now it only allows me to type my password and then says it is incorrect.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am stumped at this point because windows won't let me do anything at all now it only allows me to type my password and then says it is incorrect.
That is why I suggested booting with the installation media, independent of the Operating System and then follow the step by step instructions in that link I provided.

Ask a Question