Help me get Recent Files on Start

Reaction score
What I see on my computer often doesn't corespond to what ms help tells me I should be seeing. For instance:
I'm trying to put "Recent Files" in the start menu. MS help tells me, Control Panel/Appearance and Personalization/Taskbar and Start Menu/ Start Menu tab.
Under Privacy, select the "Store and display recently opened items"
Under Appearance and Personalization, I don't have an Taskbar and Start Menu selection. I have a Taskbar and Navigation.
Oh, well, clicking the "Navigation Properties" link opens a dialog box titled "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties," which looks like it might be where I want to be.
Except, step 2 is "Click the Start Menu tab." And there is no start menu tab.

I'm sure Win 10 is a very good operating system, I have glimpsed and been promised powerful things. But, I am regularly and repeatedly frustrated in this manner.
MS tells me step by step how to do something, and it can't be done. The options they describe are not there.

Undoubtedly it has to do with me rejecting Cortana. I went to "ask her anything"" and her reply was to ask me how big my _____ is, or something equally irrelevant.
So I removed her from the taskbar. She"s still in the All Apps list, but, I'm not talking to her.

Can you guys tell me how to get "Recent Files?"
And, do you guys have any insight into my larger problem, why Ms keeps describing solutions that involves windows or choices not on my computer,
more likely that I can't find. Although, in this particular case, Ms (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/show-or-hide-recent-items-on-the-start-menu)
led me right to it. And, its not there. (Although, the address says 7, it clearly said 10 on the page.)

win 10 show hide recent.jpg

task start properties.jpg

Reaction score
Check settings > personalization > start; at the bottom, turn ON "Show recently opened items in Jump List on Start or the taskbar"

I have File Explorer pinned to taskbar. I just double click click on File Explorer, it opens and displays frequent folders and recent files. Or click on start, double click File Explorer it shows freq. folders, recent files and jump list. Also you can choose which items appear in start menu.

Ask a Question