HELP, stuck at "please wait"

Reaction score
Ï upgraded from win 7pro to win 10 yesterday and all seemed well. I was tweaking a few things to clear up blurred text in some apps, worked ok. One program was not working correctly and software company ( well known) suggested reinstallation. When I tried I got "the application has been blocked" message even using open as Admin. I followed suggestions I found on the internet forums to run cmd prompt and another command to open administrative console? I can't remember the command or find it now. When I restarted as adminstrator the .exe file I needed was not found. I logged off to my user account and tried again with no luck.

I then tried to switch to Admin account, and now all I get is Please wait and spinning circles. I tried alt+cont+esc, nothing happens. Tried to reboot hitting F12 or F8, turned off and on several times, cursed, no luck. As soon as I restart computer I immediately get this wait screen and cannot proceed any where. I can't access restore functions, sign on screen, etc. I am at a loss what to do. As it stand now my computer is nothing but a big paper wait. I have a full backup of my win 7 on a separate hd but no way to access that either.

Dell E65640, 8 gb ram, 500gb ssd, Intel Core i7

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Vern,

It seems you are not able to get into Safe Mode by pressing and holding F8 key before the Windows logo appears on screen as you restart computer. Unfortunately most cannot do this now as Windows 10 handles this a little differently.

You mentioned you tried shutting down and restarting a few times (I assume in an attempt to restart in Safe Mode). The way to do this is to Force shutdown with the power button on computer 3 times in a row:
  • With computer turned off, press Power Button to start computer, then immediately press and hold same power button down till computer shuts off again. Repeat this three times.

Or if you have a Windows 10 Disk or USB stick you could gain access by booting to this and following prompts on the splash screen.

If you can get to Safe mode there are three Windows Services that if you disable may at least end this please wait looping issue to allow you to return to Desktop where hopefully you can run some basic scans to attempt to repair the tweaks you mentioned.

In Safe mode:
  • Right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog that opens type services.msc then press Enter or click OK
  • In the Services Window that opens locate the following three Services:
    • Windows Error Reporting Service
    • Network List Service
    • Network Location Awareness

On each of these Services right-click > select Properties and a window will open by default to the General tab. If Service status says Running click Stop button. Just above that you will see Startup type. Next to this is a box: click the drop arrow and select Disabled then click Apply, then click OK

• Once you've done the above to each of the three Services listed, restart computer. All going well you will bypass that pesky please wait and be able to continue checking computer for issues.
  • If you manage to get to Desktop then I'd recommend reversing any Registry tweaks you made, and if you cannot recall what you did then trying a System restore point dated before you fiddled with machine.
    • Right-click on Start > select Run
    • In the Run dialog type: rstrui then press Enter or click OK
    • Select the restore point you want

If you manage to resolve things and reverse your alterations to system I'd recommend you return to Services window and re-enable those three Services you disabled:
  • In the Run dialog type: services.msc then press Enter or click OK
  • In the Services windows locate the following three Services and right-click > Properties and apply the following to each service as listed, then click Apply and click OK for each Service:
    • Network List Service
      • Click Start
      • Startup type: set to Manual
      • Click Start
      • Startup type: set to Automatic

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Vern,

It seems you are not able to get into Safe Mode by pressing and holding F8 key before the Windows logo appears on screen as you restart computer. Unfortunately most cannot do this now as Windows 10 handles this a little differently.

You mentioned you tried shutting down and restarting a few times (I assume in an attempt to restart in Safe Mode). The way to do this is to Force shutdown with the power button on computer 3 times in a row:
  • With computer turned off, press Power Button to start computer, then immediately press and hold same power button down till computer shuts off again. Repeat this three times.

Or if you have a Windows 10 Disk or USB stick you could gain access by booting to this and following prompts on the splash screen.

If you can get to Safe mode there are three Windows Services that if you disable may at least end this please wait looping issue to allow you to return to Desktop where hopefully you can run some basic scans to attempt to repair the tweaks you mentioned.

In Safe mode:
  • Right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog that opens type services.msc then press Enter or click OK
  • In the Services Window that opens locate the following three Services:
    • Network List Service

On each of these Services right-click > select Properties and a window will open by default to the General tab. If Service status says Running click Stop button. Just above that you will see Startup type. Next to this is a box: click the drop arrow and select Disabled then click Apply, then click OK

• Once you've done the above to each of the three Services listed, restart computer. All going well you will bypass that pesky please wait and be able to continue checking computer for issues.
  • If you manage to get to Desktop then I'd recommend reversing any Registry tweaks you made, and if you cannot recall what you did then trying a System restore point dated before you fiddled with machine.
    • In the Run dialog type: rstrui then press Enter or click OK
    • Select the restore point you want

If you manage to resolve things and reverse your alterations to system I'd recommend you return to Services window and re-enable those three Services you disabled:
  • In the Run dialog type: services.msc then press Enter or click OK
  • In the Services windows locate the following three Services and right-click > Properties and apply the following to each service as listed, then click Apply and click OK for each Service:
    • Network List Service
      • Click Start
      • Click Start
      • Startup type: set to Automatic

Regards,

Regedit32
Hi, I have the same exact case. I made it to the Desktop but still some network changes like if I unplug the LAN cable, it'd freeze the computer, then some screen glitch, then it'd restart itself. I've made a more detailed post in here.

The problem is I don't have any restore points, that's one of my mistakes.
Also I can't recall anything that would do this.

I only have so much information for people to help. I'm sorry. Can I ask for help, please? Thank you so much! If you don't mind, please check this thread because I've made some updates on multiple solutions that helps or not. I attached the screen glitch also.

Once again, thank you!

Ask a Question