How best to watch TV from your PC?

Reaction score
Hi,

Usually I buy tv series that I like to watch and don't get any tv reception. But sometimes there are series or seasons of series that don't seem to be available on DVD. Often though it seems you can watch them on something like Amazon Prime maybe? Some computer based methods anyway... I've tried watching tv from the computer, but the method I'm trying has a very crappy picture. On the computer screen it looks great but on the tv is sucks. I'm using a Sabrent pc to tv converter box much like the one here:

Not having a smart tv I need something that can run through an RCA cable to a switch box, then from there it goes through a VCR and out of the VCR via coax to a little amp box then splits from there to the tv in the living room and the tv in the kitchen. Old and lame as that method is it still provides good clear picture quality so I know those type cables can do the job and that's how I'd like to do it from the computer so I can use the switch boxes to go from the DVD players, or my video camera, or the PC. So can anyone suggest a good way to get the PC signal using RCA cables to the switch box? The audio can run separately from the video...that's how it's going now from the PC through a switch box to a receiver and it does okay, though there is some low hum involved with that.

Thank you for any suggestions on this!

David

Reaction score
I do have a smart TV, which , basically, covers your answer. But, in a room upstairs, which I use for family visits, I got hold of an reasonably up to date Laptop - an i5 as it happens. It had a broken screen, so was purchased at a rock bottom price. I link it with a hdmi cable, laptop to TV direct. A perfect picture!

Reaction score
HDMI is the way to go really. It handles both video and audio. If you have an hdtv with an hdmi port desktop PC that doesn't have one, and inexpensive graphics card with an HDMI port would be ideal. Connecting with stander RCA jacks limits you to 480p I believe, and would take an older capture card to achieve.

Reaction score
My TV is in the same room with my computer and I run a cable from my video card output directly to the TV, works great.

Ask a Question