How Can I Display Folder File Size?

Reaction score
When viewing my various file folders within the "View" category, I select "Details", and the Size column heading is there, but the file size is not displayed, no matter what I attempt to achieve that. What can I do to have the file size of the Folders displayed?

Reaction score
As far as I know, the only way is with a third party add-on. Otherwise, a right click and look at the "properties."
Maybe another member knows of a built in method.

Reaction score
Hover your mouse over the folder it will display file size if it's checked "Show file size and information" in Folder options. Display folders > select view tab top right > Options far right > view folders and check the box " Display File Size and Information" > Click "Apply then OK"

Reaction score
Seems I have yet another difference. I have, in folder options "Display file size information in folder tips." It is ticked
But hovering only shows the creation date in mine??

Reaction score
Dave Click on View, over to the right click on Group By > select Columns and check if size is checked off?

Reaction score
That bdoes nothing for me, except to rearrange the viewed folders. Thanks for the offer though. I rarely need to see the size of folders, so my present method is fine for me.

Reaction score
I have a 500GB SSD, which holds my OS. I also have about 5TB of HDD space.
I like to install games on the SSD (so they run faster) but just saw that it was at over 80% capacity. I can tell, from the folder info that, “Program Files" takes up most of it.
The problem is that there are at least 100 game/program folders in that folder. I would like to organize them from largest to smallest and delete or move the biggest offenders, depending on how important I think they are.
With over 100 folders, it's ridiculous to have to click on each of them, and look at the info individually and then, probably have to write it down too! It's a computer! I'm supposed to let it do the work so I don't have to waste paper!
After nearly 30 years of using Windows, this has been one of my biggest pet-peeves! My first computer had 64KB of RAM, storage has always been an issue. Why wouldn’t that be an important thing to look into? I shouldn’t have to do more work than my computer, to figure out what folders take up more space!
To the point: Is it possible to look at a list of folders in Explorer (Windows not Internet) and see the “file size” of the total contents of the folders without having to look at each individual folder?
Thank you.

Reaction score
I suggest you copy snd paste you post into a new thread. This one is over two years old and may not get any results

Last edited:

Ask a Question