File Explorer slow to display folder contents

Reaction score
I have a folder with just over 1,000 image files sorted by added date. Everytime I open the folder, Explorer spends from 1 to 3 minutes resorting the folder. It is as if Windows always sees the folder in name order regardless of how I set the folder. I set it by using Details View and ticking the appropriate column header which re-sorts the contents OK but the next time I open the folder, the same column is still ticked but the contents are not in that order.

Don't tell me I have too many files, I know it is a lot but that is how I want to work. It is an issue with how windows handles things. Any suggestions on how to get around this please? I did try third party file managers which is great but when opening a folder in a third party application, it uses the default windows explorer so I have the same error.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Brian,

From what you have said I am assuming the built-in Auto Arrange functions are taking control of your folder each time you open it. This feature from a User perspective was deprecated in Windows 7. If you are a long time user of Windows you may recall there used to be an option in your folders to disable Auto Arrange.

You could manipulate your Registry to achieve the same result but that is a rather lengthy task of modifications of Bags, BagsMRU and shell keys. Is there a specific folder you are using for storing your thousand images? Pictures folder for example, or have you created your own folder and sub-folders for this purpose?

The catch with Windows 10 is even if you do manipulate the Registry you will be limited to using Details view to achieve the permanent arrangement you want. (i.e. You will be able to data order them as you like, but you will be forced to used their standard grid display; that is, you cannot place the thumbnail icons anywhere you want in the window.

To give you an idea of what you are up for let's assume for now your thousand images are inside the Pictures folder:

First you'd need to reset Folders to their default display by manipulating the following Registry keys:
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagsMRU
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
  • HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagsMRU
  • HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER in shorthand to get information on one line here

Then you'd need to modify the Registry for your Pictures folder and there are a number of shell keys to add or modify settings of. At least 10 and possibly more depending on your specific settings.

Then there is the General Items templates which may also need to be modified.

To be honest I'd get used to things as they are rather than muck around too much here. Yes you can spend time manipulating things to get what you want, but the next time you repair/reinstall windows, or there is a significant build update you'll find all your efforts are overwritten and you'll have to do it all again.

Ask a Question