How do I become the owner?

Reaction score
I'm struggling with moving data and programs from an old computer to a new one. Both computers used Windows 7, and I'm also trying to upgrade them both to Windows 10. This was reasonably easy with the old computer, and I have an icon for Owner on the top left of the screen. But on the new computer I've noticed to my horror that the icon in the top left corner of the screen is labelled User.

When I start up the old computer the date and the sea cave image appears, with Owner as the only option. When I start the new computer the date and sea cave image appears, and User is the only option, even though I am the only person who ever uses the computer and I was Owner when it was running Windows 7. I have not set any passwords or names for the User. I want to work as the Owner since some of the programs I use require that I be owner to get the full use. I am using the new computer to send this message.

What can I do to reclaim Owner powers? Would I have to revert back to Windows 7 and start over?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Both "User" and "Owner" are merely names generically generated in most instances by the computer manufacturer by default to get things going during the OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) and neither should impact your ability to use your computer as long as both users are members of the local administrator's group.

Reaction score
Both "User" and "Owner" are merely names generically generated in most instances by the computer manufacturer by default to get things going during the OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) and neither should impact your ability to use your computer as long as both users are members of the local administrator's group.

I'm sorry, pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand 'as long as both users are members...' I'm the only person who uses the computer. How do I check who's in the 'local administrators group'?

Reaction score
He is referring to them as computer IDs. As long as both of the ID's have been given the same rights, there will be no differences in the two. Basically they serve the same purpose.

What you can do is create a new ID with a name that you want to use and delete the original (whatever it may be).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How do I check who's in the 'local administrators group'?
Go here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts
You should see a list of users on your computer.
Your account should be listed and it should contain the word "Administrator" in it
If it says "Standard" user then it is not a member of the local administrator's group.
You can add another user with whatever name you choose, but.....
Make absolutely sure before making any changes to any previously existing account that the new user account you create is also a member of the Local Administrator's Group and not a "Standard" user, or else you ability to perform some tasks on your computer will be very limited.

Reaction score
I had to open the properties of each file to the shared users list. this gave the new PC access to that file. You could try putting them all in a single folder and giving the new pc rights to the entire folder and subs. Any questions on how this is done, www.GOOGLE.com is a wiz

Reaction score
I had the same problem I think. I could open documents from my old computer that were transferred to the new one, but I couldn't save them. Got an error message that I didn't have permission. And that I needed to get permission from the administrator. But I am the administrator and was logging in as the administrator. Didn't matter, still got the same error message.
I contancted MS support and one of their techs did a remote control on my computer. He set up a new account that my computer now opens. Most of my desktop stuff and file folders were copied over to the new account. But some programs weren't and I had to reload them and set up passwords, etc.

I thought this change over would be easier.

Ask a Question