Taskbar becomes inaccessible

Reaction score
For the last two weeks, the Taskbar will become inaccessible after running the computer for awhile. I can see all the program icons on the Taskbar and the ones that had been opened are highlighted. But I cannot click on any Taskbar icon to open any new ones. I can't click on the Windows icon on the Taskbar either. The keyboard Windows key does not work either. However, I can click on and open or start all folders and programs that I have on the desktop. So it's not like the computer locked up. Only functions from the Taskbar.

If I close the programs that are opened using the Task Manager, the program icons on the Taskbar still are highlighted as if the programs are still running.

To get rid of the problem, I have to shut power off and re-start the computer. I have to use the power switch since I have no access to the Windows button on the keyboard or the Windows icon on the Taskbar as I mentioned above.

Reaction score
Have you checked your Windows settings? As a place to start your trouble shooting (reminiscent of the old "checking to see if its plugged in")
confused0082-1.gif

Reaction score
What Windows settings would I check there? As an aside, could another program that is running lock out access to the Taskbar?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try clean booting your system
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Easily done, easily undone.

Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Afterwards, open task manager, using the Processes Tab, sort by CPU or Memory (by clicking the column header) and while using your normally, see if you can spot any programs or processes that seem to be consuming a major amount of your CPU or Memory and monitor to see if the memory usage seems to be growing, indicating a possible memory leak with a particular program.

Forcing a shutdown with the power button is of course not optimal and may result in some data corruption over time or minimally disk fragmentation.
Can you use the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination when the problem is present?
IF so you should be able to use the power icon there to Shut Down or Restart your computer without incurring any problems.

In the mean time you may want to Defrag your hard disk and perhaps use the native Check Disk utility to inspect your hard disk for any issues.

Reaction score
Yes, I see the power control now after the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination. I use it when the problem re-occurs. Right now I'm running with no problem. Under 5% on CPu and around 15% on memory. Would I want to do a clean boot now considering everything is OK including access to the Taskbar?. Or should I wait for the problem to occur?

I'll do the Defrag and Check Disk utility in the meanwhile. Thanks.

Reaction score
It seems my drives are being Optimized automatically on a weekly basis. One question. I have a backup plugin drive from Western Digital connected to my USB port called My Passport that back's up my C and D computer internal drive files. It appears that the computer is optimizing the external backup drive as well. Should I be doing that?

Reaction score
It just happened again but cleared after a few minutes. Maybe Outlook or Second Copy (a backup program) might have something to do with it as they were running and now that I think of it were running when this happened before. I think I'll stop one program and see if that clears up the problem from reoccurring. and then the other. Any thoughts I that?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It seems my drives are being Optimized automatically on a weekly basis. One question. I have a backup plugin drive from Western Digital connected to my USB port called My Passport that back's up my C and D computer internal drive files. It appears that the computer is optimizing the external backup drive as well. Should I be doing that?
Generally speaking, depending on what format the backup files are in and what program you are using to perform the backups, it is not necessary to defrag you backup drive. Generally the files are unique to the backup program and often a single very large file in compressed format of one kind or another and are often changed and modified and therefore do not lend themselves to defragging or for that matter fragmentation.

I would be surprised if "Outlook" was causing the issue.
I'm not familiar with Second Copy or how it works but.....
IF that is your backup program, it may be worth noting that some backup programs LOCK files that they are backing up which could account for some of your issues.
The big question would probably be, if it is unlocking and releasing the files properly and if they are System Files, if Windows knows what the heck is going on and handling the situation properly.

Reaction score
Attached is the Optimize/defrag list. What about SSD's. Should they be defragged? (I stopped the process for the USB backup drive per your comments.) Should I make any other changes on the list

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 484
Reaction score
I keep photos, videos etc on the "D" drive. The rest of my data and all my programs are on "C" drive (SSD).

Ask a Question