SOLVED How do I change default picture icon size from Large to Extra Large icons?

Reaction score
When I open Pictures folder, icons are, by default, Large. How can I change that default to Extra Large?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Eric,

First open File Explorer, then do the following:
  • Open the Pictures folder
  • Right-click inside the folder and select View > Extra Large Icons
  • Next, in the top toolbar click View, then on the right end click Options > Change folder and search options
  • In the window that opens, select the View tab
  • Click the Apply to Folders button
  • Click OK

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I would recommend setting the folder type to pictures in the Customization tab. Maybe do it on the root of your photos folders and check the box to apply it to all subfolders.
Then once you do that click on one of your albums and change to Extra Large thumbnails. Then press the "Apply to all folders" button. That way it will only apply the large thumbnails to folders of the same type, which you set to Pictures.

Reaction score
I have photo backups in folders on DVDs. I have tried the above procedure to set the view to large icons when any folder on a DVD is opened but I still see a detailed view. Folders containing photos are opened showing large icons on HDDs and network storage correctly.
Is there some way to change this view for DVDs?
Thanks.

Reaction score
I think because dvd's are read-only, you cant tag the folders with a media type. You could force everything to large icons, e.g. set everything to General Items and force the view to large icons and apply to all folders.
Or stop using DVD's because they can get scratched and so are a risk of data loss. Go an order a nice new external hard drive and move all your dvd's onto the external drive. you can a get nice 2.5" passport drive for quite cheap. A 1TB drive would have enough space for 250 of your dvd discs.

Reaction score
Thank you rosskii, I know you are absolutely right with your advice. This needs to be done but my wife has just passed away and there is a scramble for suitable photos from the last 20 years plus plenty of prints to digitize before that.

Reaction score
Thank you rosskii, I know you are absolutely right with your advice. This needs to be done but my wife has just passed away and there is a scramble for suitable photos from the last 20 years plus plenty of prints to digitize before that.
No problem. In such a case I would make everything extra large. So just set your photos back to general items from the customization tab, change the size, then 'Apply to all folders of similar type'.
Then once you have got what you needed you can switch back detailed view and force again to 'Apply to all folders of the similar type' and you're back to normal.

Ask a Question