How do I completely remove MS Edge and reinstall it?

Reaction score
Since the Aug 9th updates, I have one financial site that I can not log in to. It has worked fine since I Win10 and Edge were initially installed. It works fine on this machine with IE11, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. But since the Aug 9 update, Edge does not complete the log in process. This issue is unique to this machine. I have tried to log into the same site from two additional machines with the same update status and they work fine.

I would like to completely remove Edge from this machine and reinstall it.

I have tried the following:

I deleted C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

I then ran Powershell as Admin from the following location
cd C:\users\yourusername
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

AND IT DIDN'T HELP

Getting frustrated, looking for any help offered.

Reaction score
Why not just use one of the browsers that work? I use Chrome for most things BUT I find Edge works better on my local news stream so I use it there. And some Microsoft sites only work with IE11 or Edge so I use Edge there as well.

It just doesn't seem worth the grief to try to delete a MS program that is deeply embedded in the OS as Edge is.

Reaction score
Why not just use one of the browsers that work? I use Chrome for most things BUT I find Edge works better on my local news stream so I use it there. And some Microsoft sites only work with IE11 or Edge so I use Edge there as well.

It just doesn't seem worth the grief to try to delete a MS program that is deeply embedded in the OS as Edge is.

This problem is the result of an install error of some kind. I prefer to use one browser and plan to give Edge a shot at the prize.

Based on what I have done so far, the problem
Is not in Edge but is showing itself there. I think I am going to have to try to back out the Anniversary Release.

Reaction score
Edge is tied to the OS. All you can do is try to repair Windows from the installation media, or reinstall Windows. Maybe backing out of the Anniversary release and re upgarading will do the same.

Reaction score
This thing is driving me nuts. I have now duplicated the problem on three machines. First I verifies on two that build 14393.10 worked properly on two machines that had not been updated beyond that point.
I backed out the Anniversary release on all three machines. Edge functioned properly on all three.
I downloaded a fresh copy of the Anniversary release and installed it. It installed as build 14393.51

Edge exhibited the problem for all three.

I then checked for updated, installed them, and the build advanced to 14393.67 and Edge continues to malfunction. I guess I will just use another browser and retry with each additional build update.

Reaction score
If you have 14393.67 that means you are running an Insider build. If you mean to do that then thats OK you should get 14901 any day now. If you just want to stay on the production release you should turn off Insider builds before they get out of step too much.

14393.10 official anniversary edition
14393.51 a cumulative update to the official build
14393.67 the same as .51 but for insiders with 2 extra fixes. Safe to turn off Insider.

14901 an actual build, the first one of Redstone 2 who knows what changes are in there!

Ask a Question