MS account not completely removed from WIndows 10 home

Reaction score
Odd thing happened to me yesterday.
Windows 10 Home. Version 1607 (OD Build 14393.187)
I have had both a local and an MS account configured on my pc.
And both have worked for some time.
Yesterday, I decided to remove my MS account from my pc and just retain the local account.
Settings \ Accounts \ Family & other people \ Remove
I then clicked on the "Delete account and data" button.
Here's where things "went south".
The Delete account and data dialog turned grey along with an activity indicator, so I "think" it was busy doing something.
But, it never ended.
Four hours later, it still gave the appearance that it was busy doing something.
But, this is a laptop and I was at a friend house and had the "end" the account removal process, cuz I had to leave.

When I got home and turned it on again, I "saw", in Settings \ Accounts, that my ms account was no longer there.
(So, I thought, "great, things worked as intended."
I then decided, to re-add the MS account (the exact same e-mail address).
BUt when I try to do so, I get a "Good to Go" dialog (for a second) followed by a dialog that reads "Something went wrong, try again" dialog.

And of course, I don't "see" my MS account in Settings \ Accounts.
And I can't add it via Netplwiz, cus it tells me the account already exists.

I'm thinking something didn't complete when I tried to delete my MS account yesterday.

Is there a way to manually clean up the pc, so that I might add my MS account anew ?
Or is there a way to force my MS account to show itself again ?

I know my MS account is good (email address and password) because I can use it for other things.

Weird.

Reaction score
The last build update has comments about tying the OS activation to your Microsoft account, so it might be related to that.

Do you have physically different user accounts for Microsoft and your Local user? For instance, I can sign in with either account but they both use the same User profile which means the same user folder.

Reaction score
They are different. They each have their unique C:\Users\ profile folder structures.

Reaction score
If you are in your Local Sign-in do you have the option to switch to a Microsoft Account? Do you have the option to Add an account on the Settings-Update-Activation page?

I don't know exactly what might happen with your system, but if you can't get it straightened out, click on the Learn more link and it will eventually take you to an Activation Troubleshooter which may help.

Ask a Question