SOLVED How do I create a shortcut to WhatsApp?

Reaction score
Hello

How do I create a shortcut to WhatsApp?

Background
I like to start all my important apps using the shortcuts that I have dragged onto the bottom left of my task bar.
[Fwiw, I think these shorcuts live here: C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch]

But Windows 10 is driving me insane. Why is it SO hard to create link?
I tried searching for WhatsApp.exe which I eventually found here:
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\5319275A.WhatsAppDesktop_2.2047.10.0_x64__cv1g1gvanyjgm\app\WhatsApp.exe
But it throws an error message saying that I don't have the right permissions, even though I own the PC and I am Administrator-level user!

:mad::mad::mad:

Thanks

J

Reaction score
Hi Ship69,

right click the icon and add to start menu, once done, left click and hold and drag the icon onto the desktop. Then right click desktop > Sort by > Name etc. :)

Reaction score
Start the program, right-click the taskbar icon and select "Pin to taskbar".

Ben
Nope, this does not work.

Windows10 is telling me that I "don't have permission".

[WTF? How DARE they tell me that I don't have permission to access my own computer, when I am Administrator! These are the moments when I deeply loath Windows :mad::mad::mad:]

Attachments

• delme-whatsapp.png
    delme-whatsapp.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Reaction score
The program should be in the start menu. Right click it there an pin to taskbar

Reaction score
> The program should be in the start menu. Right click it there an pin to taskbar

That gets WhatApp onto the bottom middle of my screen... i.e. in the centre of my screen. But it fails to create an actual shortcut that I can drag onto the bottom left of my screen - my Quick Launch area- where I have icons for each of my applications.

So my problem stands: How can I create a shortcut for WhatApp that I can drag onto my Quick Launch?

Reaction score
OK I've finally worked it out.

Neither right-clicking, nor right-clicking & dragging seem to work.... But if I left click and simply drag the icon for the application onto the Quick Launch area it now creates a shortcut which does work.

[PHEW!]

Reaction score
Didn't I say something like that in post #2?.

Anyway, please mark the thread as solved so it helps others, thanks. :)

Reaction score
The OP has certainly found a solution, but it doesn't explain why, the norm will not work for him, unfortunately.

I have just tried the right click, with several different start menu icons - no problems!

1606809632941.png

Reaction score
The method described has always worked for me, right through all the builds!

Reaction score
Didn't I say something like that in post #2?.

Anyway, please mark the thread as solved so it helps others, thanks. :)
I am at a loss to explain either why it failed to work before or why it seemed to work this time around.
Yes maybe WA (or windows itself??) updated itself in the meantime, who knows?

Either way thanks for all your help, everyone. :)

Reaction score
Regarding shortcuts to Whatsapp: I have Windows 10 Pro ver 22H2. Why can I not create a shortcut on Windows 10 DESKTOP! THE NORMAL WAY? To put a shortcut on Windows Taskbar and on Windows Start Meny works and is no problem at all. I do not consider that this thread is solved yet. The problem to do shortcuts for Whatsapp on the ordinary WINDOWS DESKTOP still remains :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here's the trick - don't try to drag the pinned app on the start menu. Select "All apps", find WhatsApp and drag that one.

Ask a Question