SOLVED How to locate saved created restore point.

Reaction score
I created a System Restore Point, where can this restore be found on the computer.

Reaction score
They are supposedly stored in a hidden folder in the root directory (C:\), called System Volume Information.

Reaction score
Thet are are stored in a hidden folder called System Volume Information on the root of the C: drive.
You will have to go to Folder Option > View > Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files " and check " Show hidden files, folders and drives ".
Then "Take ownership" A utility you can download) to open it.
you will find a few files/folders in there. Be Careful! Don't try to delete or do anything in that folder!!!

Reaction score
What I am unable to understand as to why giving a name to the System Restore Point as to be able locate it, when in fact as you mentioned it is Hidden System Volume Information on the C drive. Not very handy if a required Restore is needed .

Reaction score
Really don't need to manually find the file with this option available:
1603220269233.png

Reaction score
Right-click the Start button, click System, scroll down and click System Info the click System Protection.
1603227523310.png

1603227532697.png

Reaction score
Put it in a nut Shell, requires to open the Control Panel. Create a Restore Point, save it then when needed where to find it? That appears to be the 10$ question as it appears having been said as hidden deep in the computers archives. Why oh why bother creating a Restore Point just use Windows recovery.

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

if you use "Restore", you only need to see your restore points in the list, I don't understand why you need to know where it is actually stored?. o_O

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
I agree in what you say, but why have I to enter a word refence prior to clicking [Activate] button? or why is the reference required in the first place? The restore is date and time stamped anyway. It only required to remember the last date computer was free of the error, select a prior date and all should be fixed.
My request was, why ask a reference name then hide it, to me it makes no sense at all or is it needed in the first place.

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

as @davehc said above, they are hidden and I assume because they are system files and make it harder for Malware to tamper with?. :)

Reaction score
Correct. But, keep In mind, the built in facility has no problems opening such files

Reaction score
As at now, knowing where to go, no longer bothered that Microsoft in their superior wisdom decided to hide the Restore point, only they (Microsoft) know exactly where it is saved. Only hope after a considerable time not to many will clogged up my hard drive, presumably the C drive. Therefore, is it really necessary to to enter a name for that Restore Point, as it is after all given current date and time stamped. One sure way for an answer, next Restore Point activated, leave out name and see what happens?

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

you should (imo) give it a name as you may be installing new drivers or an app and that tells you more info than just a timestamp would!. :)

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
I agree and disagree with you, name the Restore point but if you can't locate it, looks a bit of a waste of time. In Control Panel, it only shows the RP time and date stamp. Thanks for pointing out better to do so.

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

I find it useful to name my restore points (personal choice) due to the fact that I can read from the list and see exactly why the restore point was created, I may have done a drive upgrade or installed an app, in my example pic below, I upgraded my back-up laptop (which I never use) and then switched on restore (I forgot to do it earlier). As you can see, I can read from a possible long list and choose the one I think would be for me. :)

1603614262429.png

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
I too can see as what is shown in your reply, but not what is actually is typed when making up my restore point. It appears that I have misunderstood replies furnished above replies. Must take a note in future when I make a restore point of date and content.

Reaction score
but not what is actually is typed when making up my restore point
Hi Rab,

a small window should open when creating the restore point normally giving you the chance to type a name, I think otherwise it just uses a time stamp???. :)

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
Certainly in my case it shows date created and time start. What I do actually is when a fault arises, I open the Restore section and look at nearest date prior to error and use it. They do show as to whether Manual, Update etc. There is indeed a window opens at start asking for a reference name and that time, date is automatically added.

Ask a Question