Unallocated space of usb drive

Reaction score
My 32 gig flashdrive is only showing about 17 mb of storage space. After googling a solution to that I'm told to and a new simple volume to the 28.4 gigs of unallocated space. I right click on this section, and it's grayed out. I can't do anything to it. On top of that, nearly all the other partitions are grayed out. I can't do anything to any of them. Sometimes I get a popup that says disk management software is not up to date and i should refresh. I do and nothing changes. So I googled why that section is grayed out and none of those options worked either.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you delete the existing partition and then create a single new large partition?

If that doesn't work, you may have more luck using the DISKPART tool, which you can use via the command prompt.

There's a tutorial here which explains how to "clean" the disk, meaning that it will remove all partitions and leave you with the ability to create a single new partition in Disk Management (or you can continue to use DISKPART to create it):

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en

You'll lose ALL data on the USB drive by doing this. Be 100% sure that you clean the correct drive, or you may lose data from a system disk.

Ask a Question