How to fix unallocated space on partition?

Reaction score
here is a screenshot of my drives. i dont know how to fix this so i can utilize all my storage. my apologies if this isnt in the right category. i havent really ever used a forum.
Capture.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You can either right click the "C:" partition and choose extend IF you want a giant single partition
OR
You can simply right click the unallocated space and create a new simple volume

Reaction score
Looks like you have a 4TB drive with a 2TB boot/OS/System partition along with the unallocated space. I'd go along with the afore-mentioned idea of creating a second Primary partition in the unallocated space for Data storage. Some computers and Operating Systems have issues with more than 2TB partitions.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Some computers and Operating Systems have issues with more than 2TB partitions
Good point.
Since I've moved on to newer hardware UEFI (GPT), I sometimes forget my roots.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You can either right click the "C:" partition and choose extend IF you want a giant single partition
OR
You can simply right click the unallocated space and create a new simple volume

ok. i tried to create a new simple volume that wasnt successful. it is greyed out.

Reaction score
Could be the BIOS has a limit of a 2TB drive. What I like to do is download the free GPARTED .iso file, create the bootable CD, boot to it and check the partition/s. It can allow manipulation such as deleting, creating or formatting. Since it is Linux-based it can do several different formats. I recently got a WDC/Western Digital USB 4TB drive and found it formatted as exFAT from the factory instead of NTFS of the 1TB and 2TB drives I also have.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/

Reaction score
In most cases, if you want to use all the space on an MBR configured drive, you need special software.

Converting it to GPT would allow the full drive capability. There is software in Win 10 which will change MBR to GPT.

Reaction score
And, as long as we are checking, where is your system partition, the one with the boot files?

Reaction score
Bighorn, my post was for the OP. That being the case, I am still asking where the system partition is. The boot drive is where the OS is, but the System partition is where the boot files are. So, there must be another drive which contains the system partition.

On an MBR configured drive, the partition holding the boot files also has to be designated as Active..............

Reaction score
Bighorn, my post was for the OP. That being the case, I am still asking where the system partition is. The boot drive is where the OS is, but the System partition is where the boot files are. So, there must be another drive which contains the system partition.

On an MBR configured drive, the partition holding the boot files also has to be designated as Active..............
You are right. He has to have another drive in the PC (probably with another system) setup as dual boot system.

@Bighorn , this is what Saltgrass is referring to:

2017-10-15_065916.jpg

Reaction score
Should be able to In Device manager/Disk Managment/ bottom window right click the 0 drive and select convert to GPT then extend it, .Minitool or gparted or any of the others would work if for some reason Windows won't do it.

Ask a Question