SOLVED How do I get IE icon in tool tray?

Reaction score
Norton informed me that Edge can't be protected by them - extensions not allowed (probably why it is faster?) I changed back to IE as my default browser but I don't have an icon to click. In Win 7 I had it in the tool tray but not on the crowded desk top. The upgrade removed it. Luckily I have a button on my keyboard - a little house icon - to go to my browser. The Fire Fox icon remained. IE browser (only Web Page Editor?) not listed in my all programs list - that I can find anyway.

Reaction score
Sorry, but you use a term I am not familiar with.
What is "tool tray" ?

Try this......
Start button > All apps > Windows Accessories > right click at Internet Explorer.......
2 choices that are relevant to you :

1. you want an icon at Taskbar..............
click Pin to Taskbar

2. you want a shortcut at Desktop..............
click Open file location > right click at Internet Explorer > click Send to > click Desktop (create shortcut).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am thinking you meant Taskbar and not Tool Tray. The Tray, or System Tray, also known as the Notification Area is that section next to the clock on the lower right. The Taskbar runs across the bottom.

You should be able to search for Internet Explorer, then right click on it and select Pin to Taskbar.

Reaction score
OK - Task Bar. IE is not listed in All Programs. I used the search and it listed - right clicked and pined it to the Task Bar.
Thanks you all

Reaction score
IE is not listed in All Programs.
Right. That's why you had to search for it.

I think this hiding of IE by Microsoft is an intentional attempt to get us to use the new browser, Edge. And while Edge works, and is very fast compared to all other alternatives, it is still not ready for prime time. It does not support add-ins for example, like adblocker.

Anyway, I am glad that worked and thanks for the followup.

Ask a Question